Electric Ford F-150

Discussion in 'General' started by billd, Apr 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. billd

billd New Member

Hello

I'm a reporter, and I'm wondering: What do folks think of Ford's forthcoming electric F-150 pickup truck? Is anyone thinking of buying one?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Not enough info to respond with just "electric F-150" to go on.

Will it have 300+ miles of range? 400+?
    800V battery system?
    DCFC at 300 kW+?
    dual motor with quad motor option?
    Price?
    Functional frunk?
    Heat pump?
    V2G/H/L?
    Bed/cab options?
    Fifth wheel capable?
    Can it be flat towed?

electriceddy likes this.
  4. I've not seen any information about it - I just know that's it's coming. At some point. The concept of an electric pickup truck is good, but whether the Electric F-150 will be good is an unknown.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My next vehicle will be a BEV truck, to replace my diesel truck that's falling apart. Brand doesn't matter, availability/cost/functionality matter more. My criteria basically are (in order of importance):
    1. When is it available
    2. What is the price
    3. Will it work for plowing
    4. What can it tow

My family currently has two cars (one BEV, one ICE) in addition to a truck. We need the truck for plowing, hauling, and towing but its mileage is so poor we have a second car for normal use. With a BEV truck it's likely we'd be able to get rid of the second car and use the BEV truck as a daily vehicle since gas mileage will no longer be an issue.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    electriceddy likes this.
  6. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

I definitely like the idea of an electric F150. I was very excited when the 2015 F150 came out but I could not get over that it had an ICE. I don’t know that I will be in the market for a pickup truck, even an electric one, anytime soon but if I was the electric F150 would be my first choice.

When the electric F150 first comes out it will probably have a price tag of $70K+ with the options I want. That’s just not the kind of investment I want to make right now. I admit the truck I have is getting pretty old but I going to wait until either I can get the electric truck I want for a lot less money or somehow I can find a lot more money in my pocket.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

F150 is the backbone of Ford. They’re not going to touch that golden goose until they’re 100% sure it will be just as profitable.

9. larrenz

larrenz Member

Bet an electric F150 will be expensive.

10. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

Price is relative based on your need and what you are willing to pay. $70K+ would be out of my price range right now but I don’t need a new truck. I’m sure a lot of people with plenty of money in their pocket will be willing to pay this price even if they don’t particularly need a pickup truck.

If you are willing to wait a few years you will be able to pick up a used electric F150 for probably $30K, which is a price I would be more willing to pay for a vehicle I would like to have but don’t really need. By the time a used F150 comes down to the $30K price range my existing truck will be an antique. By then I should have the choice of either electrifying my antique for $30K+ or buying a used F150 for $30K+.

I would also like to point out that there is a reason the F150 is best selling pickup truck in the USA. All Ford has to do is follow the same formula and they will have the best selling ELECTRIC pickup truck in the USA. Even though I don’t plan to buy one, I am very excited by the temptation to buy one and I hope that temptation doesn’t pull me in before I’m ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Maybe I should have mentioned my current truck is an F-350 Super Duty, which has been great for my needs (maybe overkill). No real truck is very cheap, so I don't expect sticker shock from an electric F-150 unless it's crazy expensive like the Hummer EV.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I think that falls into the "well, duh!" category. It's not a terribly cheap truck to begin with, and electric vehicles are always going to be more expensive to purchase than equivalent ICE vehicles.