Electric Convertible

Discussion in 'General' started by Johngalt6146, Apr 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Johngalt6146

Johngalt6146 Active Member

Now that spring has arrived I decided that it would be nice if someone made a small reasonably priced electric convertible. I would be content with something the size of a Miata that went 100 miles or so on a charge and did not need to break speed or acceleration records. That would mean a battery pack of 30 Kwhr or so, and that should reduce weight and price. It must absolutely look like a sporty car and not some Geeky thing out of a Woody Allen movie. Price should be $30k or less after Federal rebate. Full-sized back seats or even any back seats are not mandatory. However, small back seats like my Volvo P-1800 had would be a plus. Is there any market for such a car? How about starting with a cut-down model 3?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Nice though, and someone might come out with a niche model but not at the price point you are looking for, and definitely not in the next 2-3 years. Over a period of time, when EVs are mainstream, things will change, there will be an attempt to satisfy all segments and could meet your price point.

4. Johngalt6146

I agree - Its definitely a niche product.
    BUT the price point is not far off. The Honda Clarity (47 mile EV range) is at that point ($30K or less after Federal rebate.) The battery size would have to double, but the ICE cost would be removed. The electric convertible could also be much smaller - say like a Miata or Z4, perhaps chopping off some cost.

5. Johngalt6146

Actually, a convertible based on the lowest end Nissan Leaf should meet those goals.

6. interestedinEV

Possibly but Nissan has problems of their own, they claim the Goshn issue is affecting their bottom line and they have not shown aggressiveness in expanding product line or competing with superior products. It is only now they have even gone to 200+ mile range on the Leaf. I do not see them doing it but I could be wrong. Nor anyone else at this time.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that any American or European auto maker is still making convertibles. The crash test safety ratings have to be absolutely abysmal!

9. Johngalt6146

Google "Convertibles" and you will see lots of 2019 - 2020 models, including some quite reasonable. There are also places in California that convert Tesla Model S's. With a stiff well-designed frame, roll bar and low center of gravity (due to the skateboard battery location), the safety of an electric convertible might be reasonable.

10. I'd imagine a convertible would be the sixth or seventh EV offering from an automaker, due to demand relative to various sized CUVs, hatchbacks, minivans, etc. Still a ways to go, but yeah an electric Miata would be fantastic.

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Ok, it takes two steps:
    1. Buy the convertible of choice
    2. Buy an EV conversion kit to replace the gas drivetrain
    3. Sweat equity
    Bob Wilson

TheMagster likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Johngalt6146

Bob: There is someone who actually did that to an old Miata. The video is on the web. But his drive-train and batteries were underpowered.

Mike L likes this.
  14. interestedinEV

Also trucks will take precedence over a convertible. With Rivian coming out, other manufacturers will not want to cede the market to Rivian and will focus their attention there rather than on convertibles.

15. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Clamps likes this.
  16. Johngalt6146

It's now nearing the end of 2020 and I'm still waiting for my electric convertible. There are some interesting Miata conversion videos out of the UK, but I want a production car. A friend suggested a used Tesla roadster, but they are a bit pricey for an older car. The Model 3 conversions are interesting but add a lot to the cost. I'm upping my price point to $50k. Come on Elon or someone! BTW - My 2018 Clarity (delivered Dec. 2017) is still going strong.

17. EV West makes very nice conversions kits for VWs and Porsches. And they are not under powered. Options are Porsche 911 convertibles. Karmin Gias, Porsche 914s.... Kits are between $7-12K. Used Tesla batteries cells are available. For a decent range your looking at another $10k. If those models don't suit you I am sure they could put some thing similar together for a Miata. I am thinking of converting my 914 time trial car. They have a lot of videos of conversions.
    Below is a link to their website

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=40

18. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that such niche EV products will arrive eventually, but expect the first ones to be on the high end of the price spectrum. That's how it tends to go with most things. Before there's a Miata-equivalent EV there will be something more like a Porsche convertible-equivalent EV (or a Bentley Continental, for the seriously rich).

19. Johngalt6146

Thanks - I had actually looked at that site last a few months ago. It's similar to the site in the UK on which I've been watching their latest project - a Miata conversion. I'm getting old and I'm not an auto mechanic, so would not want to tackle a conversion. I'd want a production car., with someone around to fix things if/when they went wrong. Please post pix of your 914 project.

20. Johngalt6146

The Miata EV conversion project in the UK is by Zeroev and is shown at

They are up to Episode 7. It's fun to watch, but way beyond my capabilities, even with a kit.

21. interestedinEV

It is going to be a long wait if you are looking for a stock car that you can drive off the new dealer car lot. Elon is not going to listen and neither are any of the big names. Convertibles are niche car and I do not see things changing in the next 12-18 months.

Here is an interesting video may be a little dated

22. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Well, there is the 250,000 Roadster coming out, but yeah, I don't see things changing any time soon, honestly convertibles aren't even that popular here in California anymore.

That being said, you might be better off getting a regular EV (perhaps used) and making it into a convertible:
    https://www.quora.com/Can-you-make-a-convertible-from-a-normal-car

This shows it can be done with a Nissan Leaf:
    https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1116913_blown-away-nissan-leaf-convertible-concept-makes-debut-in-japan#:~:text=Nissan%20Leaf%20convertible%20concept%20makes%20debut%20in%20Japan,-Eric%20C.&text=As%20a%20hatchback%2C%20the%20Leaf,any%20view%20out%20the%20rear

But as others have said, I doubt you will find something coming stock for quite some time.

23. Johngalt6146

Thanks all for the clips and links. I like the E-jag and 911 the best.
    I did not know that only 2400 of the original Tesla Roadster were made. There are a few for sale at the moment.
    I know that convertibles are not practical (We have owned 63 T-Bird and 67 Camaro ragtops), but they are fun.
    Cheers,

Domenick likes this.