Electric cars prove we need to rethink brake lights

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by fishbert, May 25, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

Thought some folks around here would be interested in this video, considering how contentious(?) MINI’s brake light behavior is.

Of particular interest may be the segment starting at 21:15 about over-active brake lights.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
    insightman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

It seems like it would be such a simple standard to write:

Brake lights shall illuminate while:
    a) the brake pedal is deflected 1cm or more, or
    b) the vehicle decelerates longitudinally (in either forward or reverse travel) at 0.2g or more, or
    c) the vehicle is held automatically at a stop.
    Additionally, while the vehicle's longitudinal deceleration exceeds 0.5g, the brake lights shall flash at 4hz.

sacharama likes this.
  4. fishbert

All I know is that when I'm travelling at a constant 50 mph with the 'LIM' function over slightly rolling hills, I don't need my SE's brake lights coming on at every downward slope. It annoys me so much I've thought of coding out the brake lights on regen altogether... but sanity prevails, as that would be even worse.

5. ghost

ghost Active Member

Driving behind my wife, I noticed that her Model 3's lights don't go on until she's decelerating a sensible rate. I think ours is a little too premature.

F14Scott, insightman and JonR like this.
  6. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Can they be coded out? I think something like -0.05 or -0.1g would be much better than the current system

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. fishbert

Yes, they can. But it appears to be a simple on/off. I haven’t played with it beyond rolling in & out of the garage (low regen).

Seems like a good way to assume liability in an accident, more than anything.