Dyno results on Cooper SE Signature

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by teslarati97, May 15, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Finally someone put the Cooper SE on a dyno. Graph @ 5:33.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

MINI says 199 lb-ft of torque and 0-60 mph in 6.9 seconds. I knew the the SE takes less than 6.9 seconds to get to 60 mph, so it's not surprising that there could be more than the rated torque at the driving wheels. MINI is obviously being conservative with the specs they list for the current SE.

4. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

What might explain the 'ripples' in power graph? Any pulsing of the motor would presumably occur at a much higher frequency.

Perhaps despite any attempt to minimize movement, the car rocks slightly to-fro on the dyno?

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if it's traction control, which can't be totally disabled. And as the video states, the SE was super unhappy about stationary rear wheels.

6. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

IMG_0003.JPG

The old standard 20% drivetrain loss between ICE crankshaft and driven wheels would mean the SE is making 250 lbs ft.

I’d presume the SE has a much more efficient drivetrain than any ICE. Maybe 10% drivetrain loss? That would mean 225 lbs ft. At the motor. Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

ghost, MichaelC and CsD like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. vader

vader Well-Known Member

That would explain why the SE accelerates faster than the Cooper S ICE (as tested, not reported by MINI). The ICE car is about 10% lighter, and the SE has 10-20% more torque (at the wheels). The ICE car catches up once the SE reaches maximum speed (150kph).

The instant torque delivery only helps the equation. I wonder why MINI so grossly underestimates the 0-100kph and 0-60mph times? Maybe they didn't want the Cooper S to look bad?

SameGuy likes this.
  9. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Drivetrain loss will be next to nothing vs an ICE car as you have no transmission which is where those losses come from. There is a gear reduction drive as I understand it but I’d guess the drivetrain loss is less than 5%, maybe less than 3%…

10. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Did they take into account the altitude? :D

I like the EV at altitude. Thinner air = less resistence = faster. :)

11. CuriousGeorge

I hadn't thought of that - thanks!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

It is apparent that he doesn't know about the dyno mode.

SameGuy likes this.
  14. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

Um, please elaborate how to access this dyno mode. Also drop it in the comments on YouTube, that guy seems like a decent gearhead, might actually test again, who knows.

SameGuy likes this.
  15. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Enable hidden menu:

Roller mode:

16. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Watching other Vbox-timed runs on YouTube, it appears just minimizing the nannies with the console switch does nothing to improve times (0-60, 0-100 km/h, ¼ mile) compared to leaving them on, though we know MINI’s published numbers are quite conservative. Could the hidden roller mode actually improve them?

17. CuriousGeorge

Did you back-calculate the torque? The graph shows power.

18. Borderguy

Borderguy New Member

I noticed that he has aftermarket wheels… I wonder if they are forged/lighter… that would give it some more ponies too.

19. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Forged or not, I doubt a 215 on a 17x7j is lighter than a 195 on 16” Revolite or Loop Spoke though (or even the 205 on a 17” Power Spoke). He calls them “wheels for autocross,” so I’m guessing he wanted the widest he could fit without mods.

Now I’m waiting for @GvilleGuy to use the hidden menu “roller mode” in a new video at a track or on a back road. ;)

GvilleGuy likes this.
  20. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

Since I'm a huge nerd, the GS sticker on the side of the car means they have to be 17x7 wheels. They look like black Motegi Tracklite wheels, which are actually illegal because the offset is 8mm different from stock, 7mm deviation is the max allowed.

Lighter wheels technically don't give more power, but they might give a slightly higher reading on an inertia-type dyno. That's being pretty pedantic I know. A smaller diameter tire effectively changes the gearing and would raise the peak number while compressing the graph to the left as well. If he's on 215s they're either shorter or slightly taller than stock, depending on if he's on the 40 or 45 profile.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    SameGuy likes this.
  21. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Illegal where?

22. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

Illegal for the GS class denoted on the car

23. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks.