Don't get into an accident

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Ken7, Apr 17, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

So we were sideswiped by a motorcycle about 2 weeks ago. Needing replacement were the driver's side mirror and front & rear left door. Needing repair was the front fender & left rear quarter panel.

The car has been in the bodyshop for 2 weeks and not a single part has come in nor is there even a timeframe for their arrival. The claims adjustor said this is a huge issue with the Clarity as well as a couple of other cars.

Our rental allotment runs out after 30 days and then we're on our own. Fortunately neither I nor my wife were injured, so this just becomes a major nuisance.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

If the other party was at fault and they have insurance, then you can press their insurance company for a longer rental period. My son had to do this and got his rental extended past 30 days at no charge while he waited for the repair.
    Hopefully the very knowledgeable in these matters, @craze1cars, will chime in.

Ken7 likes this.
  4. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

There is not much more to it. You have contractual coverage with your company for 30 days....reasons are irrelevant. So your own company likely can do nothing, and owes you nothing legally.

If other party is at fault, insured, and you’re within limits, and they are a good reputable company they may step up and pay extra. Unless you live in a no-fault state. In which case you have no real recourse thru the at fault party. State insurance laws vary widely. And the other company may not care about you as a non paying customer and may not be good or cooperative. In which case you might get them to spring into action by filing a complaint with the department of insurance in your state. This can often be quite effective, and free.

This is the reality of driving a rare car. It comes with risks. Parts availability is a big one. Your beef is frankly mostly with Honda, not adequately supporting a product they sell. Maybe try to complain to them. Though most who complain to Honda seem to report dismal service and few results...maybe BBB complaint against Honda.

Sorry you are going through this. Not sure what more to recommend...hope it gets resolved soon. Some dealers and independent repair shops give loaners in extreme situations...ask if yours does.

Ken7 and ClarityDoc like this.
  5. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

I had an extended repair on my BMW when it was rear ended.
    Repairs took 6 weeks due to unibody damages.
    All car rental charges was paid by the other party's insurance who admitted fault.

6. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Same here. Car ran a red light and broadsided my Volt. Car was in shop for a couple of months. Other party's insurance provided rental car. I was even able to get them to pay for gas since I argued I had an electric car with free charging available.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

So, after almost 5 weeks, I’m happy to report that we got our Clarity back today. The cost of repairs was just shy of $10,000. Some parts, not in stock in California, had to come from Japan. That obviously led to further delays.

On the bright side, the body shop did an absolutely superb job. I can usually pick up slight differences in color and gloss from body shop work, but I couldn’t detect any issues whatsoever. The shop detailed the entire car inside & out and I’d have to say the car looked like the day we picked it up new.

With that said, unless you’re really lucky, it’s safe to say you can generally expect long delays for parts for this car if you’re involved in a significant accident. The insurance adjuster told me this is simply the nature of things with many low volume cars.

Ceetee and Fast Eddie B like this.
  9. RogerB

RogerB Active Member

Solid advice. I guess I'll have to find something else to do this weekend. :D

The Gadgeteer likes this.
  10. Chuck

Chuck Member

It is hard to find a good body shop, perhaps we can post what areas where us unfortunates needed one and found a good one. I was hit in Seattle and the shop there also did excellent work, I was worried about the pearl white paint and it is perfect. The painter even came out and talked about how they lay down the paint and the booth settings they use not just for the paint but for hybrid cars with batteries. I imagine we can give out referrals in this forum?

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I discovered where wealthy owners of expensive, exotic cars (including many professional Detroit sports stars) get their Ferarris and Lamborghinis repaired and took my aluminum Insight there for body work in the early 2000s. Back then there were no other body shops that had experience repairing aluminum vehicles. Now that Ford makes aluminum pick-up trucks, I assume there are more aluminum-capable body shops, but certainly none better than the ones that provide services for the rich and famous. Fortunately, my insurance company didn't consider the expense to be outrageous.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Chris Messer

Chris Messer Member

All in all, you did pretty good!

I got in an accident in November. My car is in for the final repairs just this week!

14. thecompdude

thecompdude Member

Where did you get your repairs done?

15. Taycanev

Taycanev New Member

KentuckyKen likes this.