Don't buy the Mini EV if you need to drive in snow.

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Smart Wannabe, Nov 28, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

I have bland new blizark tires. No idea if it's just me. But the car turns into a **** show when i corner in snow. I almost lost trouble so many times.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Did you adjust the traction controls? DTC generally works well in the snow. When DSC is on, it cuts power too much and it's hard to get going or make turns.

4. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

I left everything on as normal. I was testing this car in snow since this is first snow since i got the far. I think that reducing regenerative braking should solve some issues. But i originally planned to gift this to my mom. She already hate having to figure out how to start the car. I hate it too. Compare to my Prius. It take much longer to get it going. In the Prius. I just sit in turn on and go. The MINI just keep turning off when i get out to close garage door. Anyway. My point of view is that a car should not be this complex to be able to drive it safely. Its a huge adjustment between fair weather and snow in the MINI.

Urbanengineer likes this.
  5. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Definitely use low regen mode in snow.

Urbanengineer likes this.
  6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I disagree. I find regen makes for better traction, since the car slows down more evenly. As for handling, I've never had a better car for handling in the snow, and I live in extreme winter climate.

The SE is also "turn on and go". Yes, it turns off every time you get out, but driving it is an on/off switch like a light so it's only a small effort to hit the start button when you get back in. There is no turning over the engine, and you don't have to wait for the startup sound to finish.

You could also try leaving the key fob in the car when you get out to open the garage door, that might keep it from shutting off.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Having driven both, I'm not sure what makes the Prius easier. In fact switching regen levels was not easy unless at a stop. I had summer tires by bad coincidence when I took delivery of my Mini early in the year. While it wasn't the best and I opted to drive my spouse's car, I didn't feel anything outside of the tires that was bad. I've switched to winter tires for this year.

It's a safety feature to restart after exiting the car. I thought the Prius was the same but definitely could be wrong. There is a reason why I chose the Mini of course over the Prius. In fact I could've gotten an amazing deal on the Prius but to me it was 100% lacking in a lot.

9. chrunck

It's sounding like the problem is between the steering wheel and the seat.

10. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

I do love not having to pay for gas as i am trying to save for a new car. So one point for the mini in winter. I love regen brake when no snow, another point for mini. Prius droning engine is negative one point. Ease of getting in and out one point for Prius, probably newer ones are getting more complex though. Winter driving slightly more secure feel in Prius for now. I guess disregarding range. Mini is better. Anyway. just my rant.

In terms of one pedal or not. i guess that Porsche didn’t go with it on Taycan says something.

11. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

How old is your Prius, just curious? I've only driven newer as I was test driving.

I do suggest turning the traction control down one notch when driving in snow. I do it in heavy heavy rain too and have for years on all my cars that had that option.

One pedal was awesome to me on both Prius and Mini. I think Porche was honestly a bit behind the times to leave it off their EV. Many EV enthusiasts blast them still for the poor choice

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I do not have my Mini yet but as for the restart I did see a video where a person used a seatbelt buckle clip to keep the car on when they stepped out of it briefly in order to keep it on.

14. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Taycan not having one pedal is a big miss imo. They could just include the option for those that want it.

There is a lot of chatter on the subject, but coasting is generally safer than one pedal driving in snow because it avoids any accidental braking. Think about how you might reactively lift the pedal in dry weather to avoid a potential threat. The fewer the inputs the better.

Btw, if you think the Mini SE is complicated wait until you try the Taycan. VW group EVs are all needlessly complicated and confusing.

15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

This isn't your first winter in a front-wheel drive car is it? FWD requires different driving techniques than RWD or AWD, but I believe FWD is easier to control in snow than RWD (although I have had RWD advocates in other forums bitterly reject my preference).

I have a blast driving my SE through snow on Michelin X-Ice Xi3 winter tires. I don't believe the Michelin Xi3 tread is as aggressive as the Blizzaks (or do you really have bland blizarks?), so I'm surprised you're not easily charging through the snow in your SE. I chose the Michelins because people said they are quieter on pavement and after getting them last winter, I believe it.

16. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Perhaps a bit of salt would help?

17. Is there a throttle response setting?
    (Sport/Normal/ECO)

18. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

There's a thread with an explanation of all traction control settings which confirms that DSC (the default) can be too aggressive for snow.

Urbanengineer and wessy like this.
  19. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

That seems like a slight oversight if the default is unsafe for all conditions. Are other Minis like that too? Or just the SE?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

20. chrunck

That's because there isn't a single mode that's best for all conditions (if there was, there wouldn't be different modes at all).

Yes, they're all like that. First generation didn't have DTC to my knowledge, but 2nd gen and onwards do (depending on options and what country you live in).

21. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Not sure I follow this. As a driver of a few sportier cars the default was never great for every condition. I always turn off the 1st level traction control on my Hondas and Minis - and I mean all of them - in super heavy rain, or snow/slush. Not an oversight at all, but honestly driver being improperly informed if they do not know what each does and why it should be turned off in some conditions.

22. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

I’ve never read of anyone but enthusiasts turning off any system for safety. The typical default is good for all acceptable in all conditions on all the cars I’ve driven (Most Hondas, Toyota Corolla, and Mazda Miata). Granted, on some of the newer 4wd cars there are selectable modes for different traction conditions, but never on FWD have ever heard of needing to adjust anything for acceptable performance.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the severity of OPs situation. Is the car close to non-functional in the snow unless DST is turned off or is it ok, just better with it off?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

23. chrunck

You can manage fine with DSC still on, though it's easier to get going in my experience with it off (or in DTC mode). I lived in Ohio for 2 winters with my R53 and my only trouble was getting up the steep driveway to our house. MINIs handle very well in the snow in my experience.

Lainey and DisgruntledSanta like this.