Does the ID.4 have 1 pedal driving?

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by R P, Oct 21, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I was on another thread and a guy there said he wouldn't buy one because it doesn't have 1 pedal driving. IE. when you let of the throttle it doesn't use regen to slow down. Is that true??

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SueMC

SueMC New Member

RP, the ID.4 does indeed have regen braking. This is not to say you do not need to also use your brake pedal when driving in traffic. But the regen feature slows the car down quickly when taking your foot off the gas. The regen can be turned on and off with the driving dial.

Peter Lake likes this.
  4. So you are saying the ID.4 does have 1 pedal driving, and the car will regen brake when you let off the throttle? How strong is it? Do you still need to use the brake pedal in normal city traffic? With my Kona EV, only time I had to use the brake pedal was to stop the car from creeping forward on a full stop. Is that how the ID.4 works?

5. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

Does not have one pedal driving but will slow to creep along 2-3mph when in B mode. Software update (I use that term loosely) after 2.1 does enable brake hold.
    Not having true one pedal driving is one of the few reasons I sold my ID4.

6. Regen comes on when the brake is applied not when the throttle is lifted. So no there is no 1-pedal driving in the ID4. But it does have regenerative braking.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

You can regen in B mode when lifting foot from accelerator and add regen when braking. D mode there is no regen unless you use the brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. SueMC

SueMC New Member

I would recommend to the original poster that they test drive an ID.4 to see for themselves how the regen braking feels. When driving in B mode I only have to use the brake to keep the car from creeping once it slows down to 2-3 mph after taking foot off the gas.

Peter Lake likes this.
  10. rgus

rgus New Member

I was originally interested in the ID4 but when I realized it didn't offer OPD I opted for the Model Y. I picked it up 2 days ago and have been on a short road trip and it confirms my decision. OPD is one of the strong points of EV driving and the Model Y does this incredibly well. Not to mention the supercharger network.

11. WA7S

WA7S New Member

I thought I’d like OPD (which ID4 offers a version of, until the car is almost stopped), but I find I don’t use it. Instead I prefer the ordinary drive option.
    As a hyper miler, and knowing that regen braking is not as efficient as using the cars momentum to coast, I’d rather plan ahead and coast to a stop (when possible). And when I do have to brake (using the brake pedal), it also uses regen just as effectively, and more smoothly.

michael-in-raleigh and Alex800st like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. We had a 2019 Kona and now have a 2021 ID4. One stop driving in the Kona was much more direct—meaning you have the paddle and using the paddle could slow down and stop completely. With the ID4 the one pedal driving is a bit different. There is no paddle. You put or drive the car in what they call B mode (braking/regen mode) which will slow you down significantly but doesn’t really stop you 100%—depending how fast you were driving and the distance to your stop in B mode and may still creep and never come to a full stop. (Have found if driving slowly in town in B mode I can pretty much stop completely, however coming off a highway exit to a stop still need to use the brake)

personally liked the Hyundai approach better, but ID4 is a nicer more comfortable ride

Henry Clews likes this.
  14. Peter Lake

Peter Lake New Member

That was my experience as well.
    Took abit of getting used to, this one pedal thing but I LIKE it.

15. Henry Clews

Henry Clews New Member

I mostly drive my 2022 Kona EV in ECO mode which gives good regenerative braking and very comfortable one pedal driving. I also use the left paddle to increase braking and to come to a complete stop. I can drive for hours without ever touching the brake. Definitely one of the reasons I chose the Kona over the ID-4.

16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

IMO, "one-pedal driving" brings the vehicle to a stop without touching the brake pedal. Is there an ID.4 software update for that?

17. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

No

18. My Kona had a hold on stop button, too, but I never used that. And I think most EVs have that, so you do have a choice. I prefer 1 pedal driving but putting my foot on the brake when coming to a full stop. Then if the car ahead creeps forward all I have to do is let off the brake a bit, and my car will go forward too. With the hold on stop, you have to press the throttle and it will lurch forward and then you need to let off right away to stop again. Much easier and more natural to let off the brake for a bit to gently move forward and stop again. That's how you do it in an ICE car, so no different.

The real 1 pedal benefit is with driving, as your throttle pedal then also becomes an instant speed control, not just for accelerating.

19. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I use the adaptive cruise control a lot, which amounts to no pedal driving. There are limitations to this that you have to understand, but within those limits it works well.

Oddly enough my wife hates it - she doesn't like that the car is slowing down by itself. I still don't completely understand her objection, but she likes to drive fast and weave in and out to get around slower traffic, which you can still do with ACC. When she drives, there is about a 20% range penalty just from having driven faster.

20. insightman

On the e-way, I am disappointed when I'm using ACC and fail to realize the texting driver I'm following has gradually slowed both his car and mine to 65 mph.

21. insightman

If you use the stop button will a Kona come to a full stop without using the brakes?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  22. Yes, I believe so. It's been so long since I tried it, can't remember for sure. I do know that I didn't want to use it though, as I prefer to press the brake pedal for the final stop. Then if the car ahead creeps forward, just have to ease off the brake for a bit to keep up to it. And easy transition to the throttle when time to resume forward travel again.

I sold the car several months ago, so can't go out and try it again.

23. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Interesting. I find exactly the opposite.

Once you are used to the pedal, no EV should “lurch forward” with slight pressure on the accelerator. I love 1-pedal driving for stop and go. I leave my foot on the accelerator and feather it forward when traffic moves and back it off when traffic stops. It makes the whole ordeal far more pleasant than bringing the brake pedal into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs