Does the 2021 Kona fix all the issues?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ForceEdge, May 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

My dealerships offering 3,000 cash back on 2021 models, but I’ve heard so many issues/recalls with 2019-2020 models from battery problems to odd clicking sounds etc. that I’m a bit nervous with purchasing.

anyone have any info on the subject?
    Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. There's been no indication I'm aware of that units built after March 2020 have any issues.

ForceEdge likes this.
  4. I purchased my 2021 last October, and have had no issues. It is a great vehicle. I think if you are looking at forums you are only going to get bad stuff. People don't usually post if nothing is wrong. There are lots of Konas driving around with no problems. Try checking reviews on Youtube.

Tappets, navguy12, Domenick and 3 others like this.
  5. I have a MY2021 with 8000 km. No issues yet, but did get the various recalls. No issues with going to 100%, although I leave it at 80% except for highway trips. My wife actually drove it for the first time last weekend on the highway for 2 hrs, and she thinks its pretty nice.... she's been nervous to drive it :rolleyes:
    I've only seen 3 more Konas in town at the DCFC next to my work.

navguy12, Seadog1272 and electriceddy like this.
  6. John Mailhiot

John Mailhiot New Member

I've had my 2021 SEL for a month now and feeling good about it. I think it is an opportune time to make a deal, with Hyundai making noise about discontinuing the Kona and all the bad press about the battery recall I think they have a bunch of cars they want off their hands.
    I was offered 32k to buy.but took them up on the 3 year lease instead at 1500 down 200/ month. Pretty much pays for itself with the miles not driven on my truck.

ForceEdge likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. LOL, same month I replaced the 2019 model, probably from the same dealer. I have had zero issues with mine as well:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/post-pics-of-your-kona.6276/page-6#post-113151 :)

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    mho, navguy12 and ForceEdge like this.
  9. I have a 2021 with 15 000 km. No issue.

navguy12, Seadog1272 and ForceEdge like this.
  10. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

Thanks guys and everyone else thanks for The input. I hear you, just been nervous on purchasing because of the battery issues and recalls and fires I heard of. So the 2021 models fix the battery recalls and motor ticking issues then? Been reading up on the recall 200 to, not sure if it effects 2021 models?

In your opinion do you think it might be better waiting for the 2022 Kona, instead of buying the 2021? I like the redesign a lot to be honest, but I’m sure they won’t be offering the discounts they are on the 2021

11. I have a 2019 (33K kms now) and not at all worried about the battery recall. When I receive that it will be like setting the odometer back to zero. There are not a lot of other expensive wear items on a BEV unlike an ICE car.

I had the ticking issue early on, and had the motor and reduction drive replaced. No issues since then. I think that was a factory assembly issue with how those parts were initially mated (and torqued). Didn't affect all cars, but haven't heard of any newer ones with the problem. So I think a lot of the early bugs are worked out now.

Overall, I like the car, a lot, even more than when I first got it 2 years ago. Very nimble, and a good trip car, except maybe for those in the back seats. Range is great.

navguy12 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. The manufacture date of my 2021 hasn't the battery recall. 2022 has a tesla appearance and almost everything is copy cut from earlier year. The only complain about the car is the poor noise insulation that should be fix on 2022. I have done it myself. Time consuming but night and day.
    Maybe a AWD Kona EV would make change mine ...

14. Bookbear

Bookbear Member

Would you describe what exactly you did in adding noise insulation? Thanks!

15. Bookbear

Bookbear Member

Ah! Thanks!

16. well have a look at what can be done with a AWD electric Kona, yes i would like one in my garage .
    https://www.autoevolution.com/news/a-behind-the-scenes-look-at-how-the-1000-hp-hyundai-kona-ev-rally-car-was-built-154682.html

electriceddy likes this.
  17. That rallye car really has nothing in common with the Kona EV unfortunately. It's a custom build with ICE body panels.

18. I thought the EV Kona was built on the ICE Kona platform with a different floor pan and modes to the front chassis rails to take the electric drive train.
    the electric Kona even uses the back suspension from the AWD Kona range as well, and the Rallye car shows' what is possible for a electric car to be,
    I.e. about as far from a electric golf cart many people think electric cars are,

19. Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    KiwiME likes this.
  20. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

I think everything is custom made, including gears and a fancy loud "noisemaker". People were complaining EV race cars were not noisy enough. :p

electriceddy likes this.
  21. I wish I was allowed to drive like that!

I wish I was ABLE to drive like that:D:D

electriceddy likes this.
  22. Just for comparison, here's what it sounds like without the "VESS".

electriceddy, dark night and OzKona like this.