Do the 2022-2023 bolts use the same batteries?

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by ForceEdge, Aug 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ForceEdge

ForceEdge Member

Do the new bolts use the same batteries as the older bolts by LG CHEM? I ask this because I see there’s been some fires with the jaguar I pace and I believe it uses the same batteries as the bolt. Just wanted to understand this.

here’s the article
    https://insideevs.com/news/601885/jaguar-i-pace-fire-while-charging-florida/

Also, with the new bolts do they recommend only charging to 80% or can you charge to 100% because there’s a buffer?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

Fires are always interesting, but not necessarily significant due to their infrequency. Clearly, the car manufacturers have not really pinned down ways to monitor these batteries for likely failures. GM has struggled with this, and hopefully they have it solved - ses me driving around in my re-batteried 2017 Bolt EV.
    I have the bigger battery in my 2017 Bolt EV now, and I assume its the same one as built into the new Bolts. There does seem to be a bit of regen buffer left at 100% charge, as I do not lose regen braking completely, but I still have better regen when first setting out at Hilltop Reserve rather than 100% charge. So, maybe its better at 100% charge, but I can't be sure. The ONLY time I need 100% charge is if I am doing at least a 200 mile round drip, or on a long distance drive. My round trips generally are only about 120 miles so its no big deal.

GetOffYourGas likes this.