Do any SE owners here commute 80 miles or more round trip?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by acosmichippo, Jan 11, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. acosmichippo

acosmichippo New Member

I'm considering the SE as my commuter car and round trip for me will be about 80 miles or so. Does anyone here do a similar commute with their SE? is there constant range anxiety? Is the 114 mile range much worse in the winter?

I'm hoping that there's EV charging available near my work, but I'm not sure since I haven't started working there yet. Anyway, thanks for any insight!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Yes - there are a few on here who will likely comment. How cold do your winters get?

4. You might want to do a search on your maps app for EV charging stations near where you are to be employed. You can also search on the web with Apple or Google maps. You might also ask your employer if they have considered setting up a charge station in the company parking lot.
    We have an animal hospital nearby that has installed 2 level 2 chargers in their parking lot. One is for one of the veterinarians and the second is for clients during the day. Both are open for free for anyone after hours.
    I don't commute anymore as a retired guy and cold weather here easily gets down to -25°C - well below 0°F. My SE when fully charged at these temperatures will do about 150 km in Green mode.

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My commute is 80-85 miles every day (depending on route I take), over half by freeway. Very easy trip, even with no charging at work (which I don't have). I only have range issues in temperatures below 10 ºF and need to do a supplemental half-hour level 2 charge session during the day.

EllieMINI, wessy, GvilleGuy and 4 others like this.
  6. Zim

Zim Member

Not sure what kind of temperatures you see, but we regularly make 86 mile errands (43 each way), with 10-20 miles to spare. Pacific Northwest winters, temperatures between 30F to 40F, actively raining with wet roads, mixture of highway and back roads, many hills with two people in the car, and cabin temperature set to 70F.

Our winters are quite mild in comparison to other regions.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

wessy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

I live in central Ohio with an 82-91mi round trip, almost all interstate. I typically do it in Green mode, and even if I am trucking 5mph over (up to 75mph for almost half of the commute) at 20F on winter tires, I can make it home with 5-7mi of range left. That is without any kind of charging at work, and letting it cold soak for numerous hours before heading back home.

I do have some bailout routes planned (lower speed state highways and cutting through town) and some emergency DCFC options planned about halfway along the commute should I need them, but so far, no need!

I imagine with heavy rain/snow/slush, one or both of these options will be used, but I haven’t had that chance to try it yet.

As a point of reference, I typically get 3.1-3.4mi/kWh doing this round trip depending if I am going 5over or not on winters.

On summers I just floor it the whole way :) (I jest… mostly)

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

CuriousGeorge, wessy, Martha and 2 others like this.
  9. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

This makes me happy to read. My commute is similar, 46miles each way, mostly highway, though it is in a mountainous area, so it's hilly. I've started charging my i3 at work via 120V, since it's so cold, and it's been working out well.

No Mini dealers around me so I'm making a stop by one next week when I go up to DC. Hoping they have an SE in stock to test when I get there.

wessy and SpeedyRS like this.
  10. Urbanengineer

Urbanengineer Active Member

I would only feel comfortable doing this commute if I had Level 1 charging available at work tbh.

11. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

The dealership in Alexandria had a 2022 to test drive. You can call or go on their website to schedule a test drive.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

That's exactly where I'll be staying and planned on visiting them. Will be going up on Friday, so I'll give them a call this week.

14. I now commute a daily roundtrip of about 75 miles (120 km) and the battery is usually at about 60% when I arrive at work. There are some chargers in the parking lot there, but they are usually all occupied in the morning when I arrive. In the beginning I tried to top up the charge before leaving work, but now I no longer bother. The battery is usually at about 15-20% when I arrive at home, so I can make a small detour for grocery shopping on the way as well. The charger at my home parking is only at 3 kW so it takes about 8 hours before the Mini is fully charged. Not a problem for me. Why carry around a bigger battery than necessary? The Mini is just perfect for me! ;-)
    P.S. I usually drive in MID mode at about 120 km/h most of the way

15. GvilleGuy

Excellent! And all that gas money you are saving!

Fredrik Lidén and Urbanengineer like this.
  16. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

64 mile RT commute, 80% at 75 MPH and 20% at 50 MPH. Houston temps stay between about 35F and 95F.

Over 17,000 miles in a year and a half, I have never arrived home outside 35% and 50% charge.

17. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

You will for sure need a Level 2 charger at home to always be at 100% before you leave for work.

Winter range will depend on how cold it is and if you get stuck in traffic while using maximum heat. Plan your routes accordingly and map out the easy to reach Level 2 and Fast DC charging stations (Plugshare is pretty good). If you are doing a lot of highway driving, you could also reduce the speed from 60mph to 55 mph (or draft behind large vehicles at your own risk).

18. vader

vader Well-Known Member

We have a holiday house up the coast. It is about 70 miles each way, and I can make it there and back on a charge. Not much left at the end, but it can be done. This is on freeway at 100-110kph (62-68 mph). I would charge at the house if we were staying, but sometimes I just need to go up for the day and don't bother. Like F14Scott, I live in a nice warm place so I probably get the ideal mileage.

Urbanengineer and GvilleGuy like this.
  19. GvilleGuy

Wow - what battery % do you typically have left when you get home on a "no-charge" round trip?

20. Ada Chan

Ada Chan New Member

I have a 90miles round trip commute. I usually arrive home with 35% battery when I get home at mid mode. I go through some hill areas also.

Urbanengineer, wessy and GvilleGuy like this.
  21. vader

vader Well-Known Member

I would get home with about 5% left. Depending on how the rest of the trip went, I will drive more economically the last bit (city driving). Limiting acceleration and top speed can eke out the last few kms.
    I would never advocate doing this every day, but occaisionally is fine.

Urbanengineer, wessy and GvilleGuy like this.