Dielectric

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Hutch, Sep 24, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

Has anybody used dielectric on your pins? My friend just had his stick on his 3, so i was thinking as a preventative it might be a good idea.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I presume you are referring to Dielectric Grease.

No, I’ve not had reason to try it.

It is my understanding that Dielectric Grease should be applied to the outside of a connection, not to the actual mating surfaces. Therefore, I think keeping your ‘plug’ and ‘socket’ dry and clean is the best medicine.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

dielectric is an insulator, so you should not apply it to the pins. Use a good contact cleaner periodically if you are concerned. WD-40 is a great option for keeping connectors clean and free of corrosion.

5. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

WD-40 is oil based and non-conductive and really not meant for that (even though it may work ok). If it's protecting the metal from corrosion that means it's leaving non-conductive residue and is basically the same as thin dielectric grease on the contacts.

I'd use a dedicated electrical contact cleaner since it's readily available at any auto parts or hardware store (in the electrical aisle)

6. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

To facilitate the nozzle's easier sliding into the charging port, I occasionally hit them both with a light fog of silicone spray lubricant. It keeps things nice and slick but has no perceived effect on charging, in my 25,000 miles of combined EV-charging experience.

Screenshot_20210926-083254_Amazon Shopping.jpg

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

Thank you.

9. GetOffYourGas

I have used WD-40 with great success on the connections on my Torqeedo outboard. This was recommended to me directly from the manufacturer. It did work very well, and I'm sure would work in this case too.

I actually started with an electrical contact cleaner, but it just didn't penetrate the small connectors. In this case, the pins are much larger (even the pilot pin) so yes, that's probably the better option which is why I recommended it before mentioning WD-40 as an alternative.

10. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were saying WD-40 was a great option to use as a contact cleaner!

11. GetOffYourGas

I could have been more clear. WD-40 is an option that works as a contact cleaner. But I would start with an actual contact cleaner as my first preference.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Dielectric grease is great for protecting electrical contacts from corrosion and anti-seize. Its used widely in the auto and electrical wiring industry. You pack it into the mating connectors and housings. It really doesn't do much good on the outside of the housing, only attracting dust. Its effective at keeping contacts dry in outdoor or wet areas. It can make it easier to slip off things like spark plug boots after they have been connected for a long time. It reduces the chance for sparks and contains them, nice around combustible materials.

But it is probably not the best option for routine connect/disconnect application where there is exposure to dust which will stick to it and make a mess. You want something light enough to not attract dust, non-conductive, non-flammable, not damaging to paint or plastics. Silicon type sprays seems to be a go to for these types of applications.

As far as cleaning, use a contact or tuner type cleaner.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    F14Scott and Carsten Haase like this.