Define charge limit?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by polyphonic, Oct 24, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

New owner here. Amaaaazing car. Just cannot get over the SE. :)

Is there a way to define charge limits? I'd love to set it at 80%, especially since I'll only drive 30 miles most days.

Lainey likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The SE always charges to 100%. But you don't have to worry about overcharging the battery, MINI built in a buffer so 100% is roughly equivalent to Tesla's 80%.

SmartElectric, Toi and GvilleGuy like this.
  4. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Congrats, @polyphonic ! I am not looking to get a car until spring 2021, but I am decided on the SE and have enjoyed learning good stuff on this forum. If you have time and are willing, can you find the delivery tracking spreadsheet thread and fill out your trim choices (and production dates if you know them)? We have been tracking stats on delivery timing and trim choices to keep people better informed.

5. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

Not needed on the SE... BMW has handily put in those for you and you don't have access to them and aren't in danger of damaging your battery by charging however you like... 8 year 70% battery warranty to go with it :)

SmartElectric likes this.
  6. GvilleGuy

And just to be sure - that means they warrant the battery for retaining at least 70% capacity through
    So 8 years worry-free on the batt is great. Do we have any notion of how much a battery replacement costs in year 9 (if needed)?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GvilleGuy

Ouch. And, hopefully, eight years from now, the cost of batteries will have come down a bit.

9. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

Aye, but the good news is after long-term studies with older Leaf and Tesla owners, people are finding batteries aren't as fragile and prone to life/storage reduction as once thought... (except the poor leaf owners with air-cooled batteries) - thankfully the Mini SE has thermal management of the batteries and that has shown to give the batteries the best chance at a long life.

insightman, F14Scott and GvilleGuy like this.
  10. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Member

Our nearly 8 year old Tesla has 95% original capacity, the idea that battery will die short of the normal lifetime of a car (~15 years) is scare mongering, not based on fact.

GvilleGuy, MichaelC and Toi like this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

My 4 year old Spark EV was down to 13kWh from the original 18.4kWh, a capacity drop of 29%, which isn't out of the ordinary for that model year. It's not a given that batteries can't degrade quickly, even with active thermal management. However with BMW's experience building the i3 you'd think any potential issues would be ironed out by the time they made the SE, as long as there's not some issue caused by the new cell supplier they switched to.

polyphonic and GvilleGuy like this.
  13. Puppethead

I look on the bright side. By the time I have to replace my batteries technology advancements should be able to get more range out of the same size battery pack.

MichaelC, Toi and GvilleGuy like this.
  14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Or my preference: a "sport-batt" option that doesn't increase the range, but reduces the car's weight by hundreds of pounds.

15. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the replies! Do we know what the usable capacity is out of the 32.6 kWh?
    I'm sure the engineers did a great job, but I like to be ultra-conservative. Just a personal preference.

That must be some buffer though. Our e-tron has a conservative buffer (4% at the top, 8%* at the bottom), and Audi suggests an 80% daily cap.

@GvilleGuy - this was just a dealer trade for an existing vehicle. Probably a cancelled order. Still relevant to the sheet?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  16. GvilleGuy

Yes, please. We like to see the trim elements out there in the population.

17. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I have heard 28.9kWh available out of 32.6kWh total (89%). I have not seen anything about how much of that 11% buffer is at the top versus the bottom.

18. insightman

MINI says 28.9 kWh are usable.

19. Puppethead

Which works out to 88.7% capacity (28.9/32.6). Higher than I expected.

insightman likes this.
  20. Tommy Electric

Tommy Electric Active Member

Is there a way to check what % of original capacity your battery still holds?

21. insightman

The dealer's service department certainly has a way to evaluate whether a battery has reached the warranty replacement threshold. I asked my dealer to perform that check so I'd have a baseline number, but my car was delivered on my dealership's last day of business and they never got it done.

The other day I returned to the place where my MINI was delivered just two months ago. After only a month they gave up on the idea of turning it into a used-car center. Where once there were scores of MINI Coopers, mine felt very lonely.

[​IMG]

Norbu72, F14Scott and Tommy Electric like this.
  22. Tommy Electric

Tommy Electric Active Member

Interesting to know.