Dealing with paint scratch

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Danks, Apr 2, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Danks

Danks Active Member

My grandson took a rock to the front of our Clarity. I feel a ridge on the line when I run my fingernail over it. Any suggestions? I'm figuring on asking my repair shop for recommendations for body shops and see if I need to get one that does Teslas. I don't know how much a body shop will have to do to fix it.

IMG_20200402_124602.jpg IMG_20200402_124602.jpg IMG_20200402_124549.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

You might try a polishing wax or micro rubbing compound. Hard to tell how deep they are from the photo.
    1 Meguiar's G17216 Ultimate Compound.
    2 Turtle Wax 50734 Complete Compound.
    3 Quixx 00070-Us Paint Scratch Remover Kit.
    4 3m 39071 Scratch Removal System.
    5 Formula 1 Scratch Out.
    6 3m 39044 Scratch Remover.
    7 Chemical Guys Com_129_16 Scratch & Swirl Remover.

I use this for most of my minor paint blemishes: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/flyerspeedwax.php

and Magic clay.

I am sure there are some body paint guys that will have more tricks of the trade. There are micromesh products that work wonders but are expensive.

Good luck,
    Cash

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Hopefully, @craze1cars will chime in since he has extensive experience in insurance repairs. I’m going to guess that he will say any competent body shop can fix this using matching paint for the whole panel (looks like hood and that if you don’t have a lot of fading/oxidation on the surrounding panels, you won’t be able to tell the difference. You don’t necessarily have to go to a Tesla shop IMHO.

If it’s just in the clear coat, you may be able to effect a good enough DIY repair with Cash’s helpful post.

But the real news I’m hanging on for is what happened to the grandchild? How long was the time-out, corporal punishment, restrictions on BigWheel driving, having to wash the wheels all Summer, sent to boarding school, made to enlist in the Marines????
    Finish the story for those of us stuck at home. Is he still alive, has he been forgiven, has he seen the error of his ways? This is like a “who done it“ with the last chapter ripped out. I gotta know what to do; pray for him, bail him out of jail, call Child Protective Services, send sympathy card since I can’t attend the funeral?????

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Paddy, Dan McInerney and Cash Traylor like this.
  5. Danks

Danks Active Member

I was at home. Grandma was at their place watching his two sisters (7 & 4). When he was discovered with an assault weapon assaulting our Clarity he was disarmed and sternly told NO!! NO!! NO!! I think that was about all that happened to him. As sternly as I dared, I told Grandma (my wife) that when she is watching the grandkids her first, second, and third priorities are to watch the grandson (2). The two girls have an idea what not to do. He doesn't yet.

Dan McInerney and KentuckyKen like this.
  6. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I've had pretty good luck with Maguiar's Scratch X 2.0, patience (multiple applications), and elbow grease. If you can remove it with the scratch remover, a good followup coat of wax can help with any residual swirl marks.

Cash Traylor likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Danks

Danks Active Member

Thanks. I watched their video on Youtube. Makes sense to try the reasonable low cost option first and see what I get.

9. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

3m is my preferred product family. Impossible to assess from photos. Depends how deep it is. If in clear only, then possible wet sand, compound, polish, and finishing compound is the proper 4 step process. 3m makes a “perfect it”
    Kit that does it all for $200ish for the product, and you’ll have no experience doing it so high probability swirl marks and errors.

Or just take it to a shop and ask them to wetsand and buff for you for about the same price by someone who does it every day.

If it’s thru the clear and into the base you’ll need to refinish it. But I suspect it likely can be wet sanded and polished by someone who knows what they’re doing.

but really it all depends how picky you are and how deep it is. If my car I’d ignore and move on, but I don’t get too worked up about minor flaws.

Texas22Step and Cash Traylor like this.
  10. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

My son when he was 5 decided an oriental rug was a big paint by numbers and used 6 markers on it for about an hour before we found him. Luckily and amazingly 91% rubbing alcohol got almost all of it out.

11. Timbomac

Timbomac New Member

At the risk of turning this into a “my kid did this” thread, my kids used the gear buttons as ketchup dishes for French fry dipping. They’re 3 and 5 so I actually appreciated the ingenuity at that age...

Paddy and David Towle like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Danks

Danks Active Member

FWIW - Took it to a body shop. They said it was scratched too deeply to rub out. Estimate is $700. It will be covered under our Safeco with $100 deductible. I checked on the paint baking and they only bake to 140. The manual says not to exceed 150, so should be good.

Kerbe and Robert_Alabama like this.