DCFC reference table

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Gsbrryprk8, Oct 13, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

Ok, here’s v.2 of my table with a few changes after feedback and more consideration. It quickly shows how long it’ll take to add 50 miles to your Kona at a DC charging station, given the battery temperature, station power level, and your driving style. Total energy needed is shown as well.

Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

apu likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I assuming this represents Konas that don't have the optional 2 Kw battery warmer engaged at lower temperatures ?

4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Not sure that it matters. The battery warmer warms the pack (it would take some number of minutes), so you can move up to more favorable charging rates.

5. I think it does have an effect, I just compared a DC charging session I did last winter to the chart. It was actually 4 minutes faster to add 50 miles compared to what the chart suggested. The session went from 18-55% SOC, ambient air temp was 15.7F but battery temp 53.6F , the DC charger started a 43Kw and ramped up as the heater and DC charger warmed up the battery. It took 17 minutes to add 50 miles at the 3.5 mile/kwh efficiency. It took 9 minutes of battery heating to get the BMS to allow 53kw/h increment. In fact I was able to hit max charge at 77 Kw/hr, albeit briefly. That would have been impossible without the battery warmer engaged at that start temp. Now this data was pre BMS update so it may in fact be quite useless now.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  6. Ceetee

Ceetee Member

Thanks for the graph. Thoughts on factoring a lower SOC the faster it charges at? E.g. 10% to 50% is faster than 35% to75%

7. To remove this ad click here.