DC Fast Charging not working, port LED red

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Etienne Savard, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Etienne Savard

Etienne Savard New Member

I just tried 3 different DC Fast charger: I connect the car, initialize the session, but it abort. The charge port light is RED. There's no sign of ice inside the connectors (plastic caps are always on), and the connector seems to go all the way in the ports...
    Level 2 is working good.

Any tips, or clue how I can get DC fast charging working again? It's -7C here in Quebec Canada... Hope it will not do that all winter, it will a long winter...

Thanks in advance!

2. BlueKonaEV

BlueKonaEV Well-Known Member

I would bring the car to the dealer to have it checked. The DC fast charger uses the same pins as the level 2 plug for communication with the vehicle. The 2 bottom pins are for the actual DC charge. I wonder if you tried 3 chargers of the same brand/company or different ones?
    I once had an issue with 3 different Electrify America chargers at the same location. However, when I charged at a Greenlots charger a few hours later, I had no issues.
    It it was different charger brands that you tried, I would make an appointment with a dealer to have it checked.

3. Chris-Ca

Chris-Ca New Member

I had that happen last night at one, but when I moved to the one next to it, it worked. Faulty station, I assumed. Did you go to a different location to try again?

4. ericy

ericy Active Member

The other thing you might do is check plug share, and see if others are reporting similar problems.

Chris-Ca likes this.
  5. electriceddy

electriceddy Well-Known Member

Also make sure no charging schedule activated. May be bypassed by pushing the button beside the bars indicator in the charge port as shown starting at 3:14 of this video:

eastpole and KonaTom like this.
  6. KiwiME

KiwiME Active Member

Does scheduled charging pertain to DC also? I would have thought not but it's not mentioned in the manual, nor have I tried it.

7. electriceddy

electriceddy Well-Known Member

Just trying to eliminate a possible cause, not sure either

8. KiwiME

KiwiME Active Member

You might enjoy this ... a Tritium Veefil RT blew its cover off a week ago here while charging a tourist's EV. A few other units are getting revisions to avoid a repeat performance. No announcement on the cause yet.
    biiger pic.jpg

9. hobbit

hobbit Active Member

Wow... that really is a monster SMPS, isn't it?? The Chargepoint 50k
    units hereabouts seem to be Veefils.

_H*

10. KiwiME

KiwiME Active Member

The part hanging out appears to be the inductor (filter) for the negative DC wire, according to my inspection of close-up photos. That and many other components are liquid cooled with the radiator at the base. The (EMI) enclosure must be sealed well as a rapidly-outgassing component produced enough pressure to break all the fasteners and pop the cover. Most chargers in NZ are this same model.