Dash display "on" with gear selection only thing showing?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Chris-Ca, Jan 16, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I've noticed this happen twice and I don't think I've seen this happen before (or maybe didn't notice?). I had come home hours earlier (when it was daylight) and locked the car with the door handle button. I hear the locking beep so I go inside. About 3 hours later, I go outside (it's dark outside now) to take the dog out. I have my car/house keys in my pocket. I have to walk by the back side of the car and notice the dash is illuminated with nothing displayed except that it showed in park (there may have been one or two other icons, but I'm not sure). I immediately hit the lock button on my remote and the light goes off.

Is there any reason the dash should be illuminated like this? Is it a proximity thing with the key? I'll have to try testing it more. Is it related to the green light in the hyundai logo in the front? It was on when I looked tonight.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The odometer reading will also come on at the same time.
    It is related to the Hyundai logo illumination, which of course is part of the 12 V battery top up cycle.
    Niro EV does the same;)

Chris-Ca and lars2885 like this.
  4. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

Probably doing the 12v battery top-up. Yellow light in logo will be on ( or about to come on), and yellow ring round the charge socket.

Chris-Ca and electriceddy like this.
  5. Forgot about that one, mine is usually parked with the charge door closed.

6. Thanks. I've seen the logo light before but never noticed the dash coming on at all. You learn something new every day! ;)

7. To remove this ad click here.