currently has BMW EV charger, can it be used to charge Tesla Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by mkv123, Dec 11, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. mkv123

mkv123 New Member

The place i will be moving to has BMW EV 240v charger. I have Tesla Model 3. Will I be able to use the BMW EV charger with out any additional adapters/equipment. If not, could you please let me know what equipment needed. Thanks a lot in adance.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Can you give a City/State/Country? I live in USA/North America. So I’m comfortable with what I know but I’d rather pass your question to your countrymen.

Bob Wilson

4. mkv123

mkv123 New Member

Thank you, Gilroy, CA, USA

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

The BMW portable has a J1772 plug and the Tesla comes with a J1772 adapter. But you’ll find the BMW portable is max 12A and 120VAC. The Tesla portable is multi voltage and up to 31A.

Bob Wilson

6. CPark

CPark New Member

Yes but use the adapter. We currently have Tesla M3 and BMW mini SE. I use the both chargers on both cars w adapters.
    But, you might get slightly different charge rate btw cars.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bjrosen

bjrosen New Member

You can always use the J1772 adapter but the downside of that is that the cord won't fit into the holster with the adapter on. I have a ClipperCreek that I put in when I had a Volt. My original plan was to leave the Tesla J1772 adapter on the cord but because of the holster problem that wasn't possible which made things less convenient. I had my electrician run a second 240V line and added a Tesla Wall Connector. The TWC is on a 60A line and the ClipperCreek is on a 32A line. The ClipperCreek is unused but it's there if I ever get a non-Tesla vehicle.