Cruise control setting issue

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Peter C, Nov 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Peter C

Peter C New Member

Hi, I am a very recent 2019 model Kona EV owner in New Zealand, still getting used to the car's features.
    I have one puzzling observation and would be interested in any comments from your own experiences.

When setting the cruise control for open road driving, I have (seemingly unpredictably) met a dash display of "SCC Conditions Not Met", and a failure of the cruise control to engage, despite carefully following the instructions for setting in the car handbook. On other occasions, apparently no different from before, the cruise control would set without any problem.

The "SCC Conditions Not Met" alert is not mentioned anywhere in the handbook, and when I mentioned the issue to my Hyundai agent, they professed not to know about it and implied that I was just doing the process incorrectly. In frustration, I did an online search and found a forum thread somewhere (evidently not this group) where it was proposed that the issue arose from not having applied the brake for some specific period prior to attempting to engage SSC. I experimented with this and found that it worked. However, it is sometimes not convenient, or even safe, to suddenly dab the brake having reached cruising speed, having then found that SCC does not engage.

This seems a significant issue, which at least deserves an explanation and suggestion of appropriate strategy in the car's handbook. I have brought the matter to my agent's attention again during a recent routine service, but again received a lukewarm response.

I'd be interested to know whether anyone else has any comments on this issue.

Regards,
    Peter

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I had that when I was still learning the car, and I was incorrectly trying to turn the thing on. If I pull down on the switch to set, then that message never appears.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Inside EVs mobile app

4. Peter C

Peter C New Member

Thanks, but no, this happens when the button is pushed downwards, as in the instructions, to "set" the cruise control.

5. A small thread on the braking part here:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/smart-cruise-ctrl-conditions-not-met.4928/
    There have been comments on this in other posts including a leaf(not an EV) on the flat radar sensor in the lower front. I have also had it disconnect when the angle of the sun hits the camera behind the windshield, usually driving around a corner on the highway. The first few times I just about jumped out of my shorts, now I expect it.

6. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I use cruise all the time. This works all the time. Push the cruise button on the wheel. it shows up on the panel as blank space. Attain your speed then set the set button. You can increase that speed by moving the res button up once it will give you one KM or hold the button and it will increase the speed by10Km.s If that doesn't work then something is wrong for sure.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Peter C

Peter C New Member

9. nigels

nigels Active Member

I had the same issue last weekend. On the highway it refused to enable SCC. As soon as I exited (and braked) it started working again. I’m going with the “brake pedal not pressed recently” theory, but I haven’t had chance to test it.

10. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Well I'm going to try that as well it might have happened to me but never noticed

11. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

Yes, had this a few times, no pattern to it, but possibly after not using the brake pedal for a lengthy time while on regen 3.
    I do the following:
    Right paddle 3 times to ensure regen 0
    Lightly tap the brake pedal (not press)
    Restore previous regen level
    Engage SCC (worked OK each time)..

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. If you have not used the brakes yet on a particular trip it won't engage. This happens to me frequently as I am an avid paddle-user. Tap the brake pedal and try again.

14. Cain

Cain New Member

I'd agree with the haven't-tapped-the-brake theory. Although I'd add using "Cancel" to turn cruise off to the list of causes. I often get this on my weekly commute, just after slowing down to go through a specific village. I have Regen level 2 on in all modes so most driving I can do with just the throttle. I rarely use the brake.

When this occurs, a light tap on the brake allows me to reset cruise. I think all you have to do is press it enough to trigger the brake light.