Creep On/Off?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Gary Morrison, Apr 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Gary Morrison

Gary Morrison New Member

Hopefully-quick question: Assuming that you’re not using single-pedal driving, does the Ioniq 5 have a setting to turn on or off creep (i.e., creeping forward upon releasing the accelerator pedal)?

If so, then it’s feasible to take your foot off the brake pedal at a stoplight, which begs a second question: Does it have a setting to hold the brake on for you until you press the accelerator pedal again?

In other words, can you bring the car to a stop with the brake pedal, take your foot off the brake pedal regardless of terrain, then press the accelerator pedal to start moving again?

Thanks for the info. I’m closer to buying one than ever…

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. My KIA Niro has an "Auto Hold" feature that does this.

Presumably the Kona does, too.

Gary Morrison likes this.
  4. NRH

NRH Active Member

Kona does too

5. Gary Morrison

Gary Morrison New Member

With a little luck the Ioniq 5 will too…

6. Bommai

Bommai New Member

I believe it does. I like the i-pedal mode though. I wish I could just setup I-pedal as default.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. There is ipedal which will bring it to a complete stop without touching the brake.

Then there is the left steering wheel paddle which will bring it to a complete stop if your not in ipedal.

And then there is Auto hold which will hold it in a stop when you use the brake pedal to stop the car. Without Auto hold it would creep.

Domenick and Gary Morrison like this.
  9. BobS

BobS Active Member

Ioniq 5 has Brake Hold in addition to one pedal driving

10. Gary Morrison

Gary Morrison New Member

Cool! So it sounds like the settings that would do this are called “brake hold” and “auto hold”?

11. No, there is only Auto hold.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Gary Morrison

Gary Morrison New Member

From the description above, yeah, it sounds like Auto hold would have the effect I’m asking about.

14. CapeCodI5

CapeCodI5 Member

Yes it does. Auto Hold does exactly what you’re asking for.

rgg789 and Gary Morrison like this.
  15. Yup, I have auto hold on my Ionic 5 , use it all the time.

rgg789 likes this.
  16. As stated by many, Auto Hold is the equivalent of disabling creep mode. The nice thing is that it remains persistant even when you power the car off and back on. This was not the case with the Kona Electric and Niro EV. It is actually one of the things I mention in my first EV6 video.

Domenick likes this.
  17. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Auto Hold is activated by the button at far left of the dashboard (next to the driver's door).

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Do the Ioniq 5/EV6 use the brakes or the motor(s) for auto-hold? Are the brake lights lit when auto-hold is holding the car stationary? My MINI Cooper SE won't roll backward downhill when in Drive, but it will roll forward downhill. There is no "add-creep" option, unless you count me.

Is there any dashboard indication when the Ioniq5/EV6 light the brake lights in response to regen braking? In my MINI I wired an interior LED in parallel with the 3rd brake light that I can see in the rear-view mirror. I need to know so I can tailor my driving to prevent drivers behind me from thinking I'm one of those people who rest their left foot on the brake pedal.

19. I think some people overthink things a little bit. But obviously everybody as they like. The break lights in the ioniq are always on when the car comes to a stop. No matter how you came to that stop.

They are not always on during Regen braking, only during stronger Regen braking.

20. insightman

Then like most BEVs the Ioniq 5 doesn't tell you when the regen braking is strong enough to light the brake lights. I want to be polite by minimizing the seemingly random flashing of my brake lights. Some drivers take offense when the car in front of them is flashing its brake lights to claim the car behind is following too close. I couldn't minimize that flashing unless I knew when the car decides to do it.

21. Generally it looks like EVs tend to show their brake lights too little (compared to an ice car) which makes sense. An ice car doesn't have Regen, so you have to brake. The breaker light comes on when you use the pedal, but if you're a one-pedal driving fan the car seems to enlighten your followers rather later than sooner. So I don't think you need to worry about that. In fact some people complain that they come on too late.

22. insightman

I'm sorry I'm not being clear. Regardless of whether regen activates the brake lights with the slightest deceleration (as my MINI Cooper SE does) or with greater deceleration, there is no feeback to the driver about the activation. So the driver doesn't have any way to know that his or her driving style may be causing the brake lights to illuminate in ways that might confuse or even irritate the drivers of following cars.

I hate following cars where the driver obviously has one foot on the accelerator and the other resting occassionally on the brake pedal (as evidenced by the brake lights being on during acceleration). My only satisfaction comes from knowing they will be buying new brake pads sooner than I will.

To help me avoid confusing or irritating following drivers, I installed a brake-light LED I can see in the rear-view mirror to help me control unnecessary brake light illumination. For example, before installing the LED I used to rocket away from a stoplight and then back off to the speed limit, causing my brake lights to come on. Now I rocket away from a stoplight and stop accelerating at the speed limit. For those who don't care what following drivers think, I'm overthinking my attempt at courtesy.

23. I get what you're saying/trying to accomplish. I'm just wondering what you need an indicator for when you know how the car works/what is indicating.

Besides being first away from the light, over-accelerating is never a "great" idea. You're wasting electrons/fuel and potentially brake pads. The brake lights turning on should be your least problem at that point.

Not trying to say you can't have a little fun at the stop light, I'm usually the first across the intersection as well. Just saying that knowing how the car works saves you from having the need for a brake light indicator.