CR on Driver Assist Systems

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Jan 26, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source: CR Rates Active Driving Assistance Systems - Consumer Reports

It’s equal parts eerie and amazing to experience Ford’s BlueCruise hands-free driving feature, as it takes over your car’s steering, braking, and acceleration while you travel down the highway.

The eerie part is watching the steering wheel turn back and forth on its own, making micro-adjustments to keep the car in the center of its lane, while the system also slows down or speeds up to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle ahead. The amazement soon follows: With your hands off the wheel and relaxing on the armrests as the automated systems take charge, you might start to believe that the age of the self-driving car is finally upon us.

But while BlueCruise’s capabilities are impressive and can make driving more relaxing, cars that can truly and safely drive themselves remain a long way off.
    . . .

I am not a fan of Consumer Reports but this is news.

After Consumer Reports screwed up their Prius ratings, I dropped our subscription. Subsequent annual reports show CR is still flawed. Car and Driver does a better job.

CR downrated Tesla for features having nothing to do with Autopilot performance. Worse, they failed to report the version such as Tesla’s 2022.44.30.10 that I got two weeks ago and Full Self Driving 10.69.25.2 that I got last week. Without the software version numbers, no one knows what was actually tested.

The CR article has more flaws that an engineering supervisor would feed to the shredder. I’m more interested in the IIHS, NHTSA and NTSB reports on Tesla Autopilot and EVERY driver assistance system. CR has once again failed.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. They also complained about Super Cruise not being able to reengage after the Driver takes over and makes a steering adjustment.... that's incorrect, if they re-centered the vehicle in the lane the light on the steering wheel would turn from blue back to green and continue on on its own.

CR really screwed up their testing on this one... makes me think it was payed for by Ford.