Could Not Recommend

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Clamps, Dec 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I recently had a distant friend contact me as he was about to purchase his first EV and wanted my thoughts in general and the Kona specifically. I told him to for sure test drive the Kona and detailed it’s advanced features. Explained how efficient it was and the cost was very competitive especially if he qualified for Fed tax credits. I also explained the current recall and how most likely any new Kona would be post recall but I couldn’t flat out recommend, not so much for the recall itself but I simply feel I cannot trust Hyundai based upon my personal experience.

I know there is a lot of love for the Kona here. Would you recommend to a friend if they were shopping? Would you buy again or would have you chose differently if you knew the potential growing pains it seems Hyundai is experiencing?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I pretty much have the same perspective. I really like the car and its been one of the most interesting, ground breaking vehicles I have ever owned. That said its really hard to recommend it to anyone based on my poor reliability experience, and on Hyundai's less than stellar response to their problems. Not to mention it appears they are giving up the model in the mother country. Its hard to have confidence in a product if the company has decided to say F it were going to try something completely new with the Ioniq branding and maybe they won't notice the rubbish we built before. I may buy another Hyundai in the future but I'm going to stick my previous rule of not buying a car within the first 2 years of a new model intro. I am tired of being a beta tester.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Toolworker and ehatch like this.
  4. nigels

nigels Active Member

Would I recommend? Right now I would definitely buy the Kona again if I had the choice. My wife was even thinking about buying out the lease, she loves the Kona that much. When our lease ends, however, I fully expect EV technology to have moved on, but Hyundai would be our first choice for a new EV, with VW second.

I would do exactly what you did: provide an objective assessment of the car and its pluses and minuses and let the potential buyer make an informed decision. I would add that other EV manufacturers have had similar battery and drivetrain issues, and that the percentage of affected vehicles is small. I'd be clear about what Hyundai's warranty covers and for how long. Our Audi Q5 had more recalls than the Kona, and my service experience with Audi was far worse, but everyone's service experience is different. Our Kona has only been to the dealer once and has been otherwise trouble free.

Aside from the EV element, a potential buyer should also assess the vehicle from a practical perspective: how much interior space it has, how much luggage space, real world range, cost, depreciation etc. Many people have stated that the interior quality doesn't measure up to a similarly priced non-EV. That's true, you're paying a premium for a battery not for interior quality.

Forums like this tend, by their nature, to focus on problems. Those posts far outnumber the "my car didn't explode and the drivetrain didn't disintegrate again today" posts :)

5. Hi, my opinion would be to wait 1 to 2 years since the choices will be much better, and, should have better batteries and/or technology and more and more DC Fast Charger stations installed for those longer trips.

Don't focus on one manufacturer and see which ones offer what the needs vs wants are. Are software updates done OTA (over the air) or must you bring it to the dealer? Where's the closest dealer to where you live? Is the vehicle in stock or must it be ordered? Prepared to wait months for the order to come in? Any compromises being made? Price is a big factor and one of the reasons I bought one this year. Had, I waited one more year, my trade-in vehicle would be valued much less; Hyundai offered $3,000 more than what GM did. Any rebates offered or not? All of this played a factor in me going with the Kona.

BTW ... my car didn't explode and the drivetrain didn't disintegrate today but my order came in, literally, months ahead of schedule. :) I don't regret buying it and plan to keep it for a long time.

6. The second part is what gives me pause. We had a Hyundai years ago and I had problems at the dealer level. This time it was both the dealer and Hyundai.

Our second car is a Q5 as well or I should say my wife’s car. We live in the Greater Boston Area and we’re not pleased with the dealers when we were buying. Acted as if they were doing us a favor simply speaking with us. A friend recommended Audi Nashua and the experience there has been first rate.

Agree about problematic posts dominating forums though that doesn’t change my personal experience.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Etienne Savard

Etienne Savard New Member

I would recommend it to anyone asking about the Kona Electric, and my impressions about it. I bought one of the first Preferred available in Quebec, Canada (the base trim), and I didn't have serious problems with it so far. I really like the look, the driving experience and the comfort.

The Kona Electric is not perfect (the damn charging port in the front is a big "no" with Canadian winters), but it is the best bang for the buck if you compare to other EV in terms of standard equipment, autonomy, comfort.

Hyundai is not perfect either, they still sale much more ICE than EV, and the service reflects just that. My dealer as a technical adviser and a mechanician that are very interested and professionnal regarding Hyundai's EV. They are the only people that can take care of my car. Nobody else can. I don't trust them. ;)

Having said that, I'm still looking at Hyundai and their strategy to be in the top EV manufacturers in the world by 2025, especially the new platform on which the Ioniq 5 will be built. Interesting times ahead for the Korean automakers.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. I would recommend the Kona based on its range and efficiency and price after rebates. I leased the car in June 2019. I have not had any problems with it and I have only taken it to the dealer once for recall updates. I have not had low or high voltage battery problem, nor have I had motor or transmission noise. I have a friend who is not a member of the forum and he has not had any problems with his Kona either. So while I am aware that problems exist I have not experienced them. My experience has been positive

That said when my lease is up I will probably chose a Polestar 2 or Mustang Mach E. Why? Because I prefer some thing sportier. If these models were available when I leased the Kona I probably wouldn't have the Kona. I have restored, built, raced and driven Porsche most of my life and I prefer a sports coupe to an SUV. I may at some point consider a used Taycan when they drop in to my price range.

My main objection to Tesla, is availability of parts and "right to repair". I am hands on when it comes to my cars.

Clamps likes this.
  10. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

NO,not after reading HMC has the ability to do OTA in 2019 vehicles. Cannot recall which user mentioned it,about having to spend hours to do software updates at a dealership . Our infortainment has a screen with "update,"so it's capable,not turned on.

A stranger drove off the road to come chat with me whhile I was charging during the spring of 2020 because mine was one of the few Konas they have seen in the wild. At the end of our conversation that included their real world use of an EV. I "sold" them a Model Y:D Their siblings have a Model S,and Model 3,but they didn't move on a Tesla without weighing their options.

Kona electric owners do love it because when it works as it should,it's a good EV.The issues lie with HMC not being forthcoming with campaigns,or recall details. Look at a Tesla update,it describes what's being downloaded.

Aside.I wanted to update my other post where I mentioned my Model Y test drive.That mileage I stated was the total with the existing SOC when I got to the V2 supercharger.Still,that's a fast charge for 10 minutes.

@ScubaSteve if you do the math on a Model 3 SR versus the Kona electric,plus:OTA updates that improves the existing vehicle, supercharger network. That cost difference is gone,especially if it's your primary ride.

@nigels forums like this become negative if the OEM is acting like Hyundai. There's a reason people call Tesla a cult because their forums make it "appear' like utopia owning the brand. One Bolt EV owner had a crash.GM refused to speak to them to see why an airbag didn't go off....Audi etron owner I met at a charger this month has had charging issues,mostly electrical issues.Audi has infamously been known to have electrical issues,not surprised with etron ,read Consumer Reports review.

11. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

Simple answer: yes I’d buy it again and yes I would recommend it. That said, I’d bring up the pros, re-eval, and cons:

Pros
    1) You will get more for your buck with this car.
    2) Best bumper to bumper warranty. (My 2019’s batteries are guaranteed for life.)
    3) More places to take it for any repair needs.
    4) Easy to maintain and care for.
    5) It is one of the highest rated EVs by Consumer Reports.

Re-eval
    1) Many more EV choices to buy now and in the near future.
    2) Compare options that are available for the price you want to spend.
    3) ALL new electric car makers will have problems out of the gate, new tech will have issues.

Cons
    1) Does not have as good a charging infrastructure as Tesla.
    2) It is no longer an EV distance leader.
    3) Not all Hyundai dealers are prepared for dealing with the Kona EV repair possibilities.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Other than the annoying recalls my Kona has performed flawlessly and surpassed my expectations, so if I had the decision to make over again in the Fall of 2019, I would certainly lease the same car again...but not buy. With leasing you don't worry about expiring warranties, depreciation or obsolete tech, since every 3 years you get to pick other choices armed with the experience gained from the last choice. I'm looking forward to 2022 to test drive different EV's like the Mach e or the Ioniq, and who knows what else will be there. Having said that, depending on individual requirements, leasing simply isn't an option, but it works for many. My main beef with the Kona is the rear seat leg room, but at least I don't have to sit back there.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  14. About your comment ... the Tesla M3 SR does not meet my needs. Your comments should be directed to the OP not me.

15. Soona

Soona Member

At the risk of digressing, choices in this fast-evolving technology and market will always be better in 1 or 2 years. Although it might not be financially efficient to flip cars or even lease, I have always wanted to support the technology and the market to get more e-cars on the road (and less ICE cars) - it encourages the manufacturers and it encourages other drivers who see you and ask about it. I'm still disappointed there are so few e-cars on the road, although I do see a lot of Tesla's these days.

In 2015 I bought a VW eGolf (80-mile range!) knowing that the technology was going to improve quickly. IN 2019 I was super happy to upgrade to the Kona. I love it and haven't had any problems with it whatsoever but ymmv.

Get out of ICE for the environment if nothing else!

Burnaby Tom and Clamps like this.
  16. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I love my 2020 KONA ULTIMATE - 1 year anniversary. It is very fun to drive - I am not a long-hauler or daily commuter. Mostly just around town chores and the occasional 200 r/t mile drive twice a year. Yes, there have been now 3 recalls for it - 2 completed. Bute the dealer actually has been great - providing UBER rides back and forth. It really has performed flawlessly, except for the nagging issue of the latest NAV Update & the intermittency of stupid BLUELINK working or not. (the developers of BOTH of those software don't seem to listen to us.)

That all being said, YES, I would recommend & would buy it again. IMHO there is/was a much bigger bang for the buck vs the TESLA 3. I much prefer the DASHBOARD of the KONA, and coupled with the Tax rebate (State & Fed), it cost a LOT less than the TESLA 3 fully loaded. So for ME, the KONA was the best deal & feature-rich EV on the market at the time of purchase & with a more spacious interior vs the other EV's (Leaf, VW, Bolt, etc).

Of course we're ALL "early adopters" in this world of EV's .. Things are going to change dramatically over the next 3-5 years & options will be far greater as well as battery mileage technology continues to advance.

Clamps and nigels like this.
  17. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Having had no problems other than the minor inconvenience of the recalls, I'd still recommend the Kona. Mine has been an unending delight and is easily the best car I've ever owned. But I would point out that some have reported problems with Hyundai. And if they aren't in a hurry, I'd be sure they know about the stream of new EVs coming to market in the coming months.

nigels likes this.
  18. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I had zero issues.. I'm not concerned about the recalls.. They were software updates only.. I keep an eye on my battery anyways.. 42500 miles so far and ZERO issues.. Still get the same range as when new.. I WOULD definitely recommend the car. However, I do point out to those whom I recommend the car to that there are disadvantages compared to Tesla as the charging network is not where the Supercharger Network is. If I switch to Tesla at one point, it will be mostly for that reason.. My wife has family in South Texas (near McAllen) and the closest Level 3 charger is over 150 miles away and not available 24/7 (24 kw charger at Harley Davidson Corpus Cristi... available during business hours).. Tesla has a Supercharger right in McAllen.. So, last road trip, I took our old Van instead of the Kona as there was no place to charge fast in that area..
    When it comes to NON TESLA electric cars, Kona is my ONLY choice.. It is the better car than the Bolt and Leaf and nothing else comes close to the range (here in the USA).. Niro would be the only other option as it's essentially the same car.. I do prefer the looks and the better range on the Kona..
    I personally will wait 2 - 3 years before my next EV purchase.. If Model Y will be 400+ mile range by then (or any new model), I will pull the trigger on one.. If the CCS charging Network improves, I may consider other offerings. However, I want my next EV to have 400+ mile range.. I'm sure that this is very realistic in the next 3 years..

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  19. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Addressed your remarks from a ROI,and deliverables standpoint : "Price is a big factor and one of the reasons I bought one this year;should have better batteries and/or technology and more and more DC Fast Charger stations installed for those longer trips."

20. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Pros: depending on where you want to drive to.bumper to bumper is a benefit if they can fix issues,eg. Leaf has a Li-ion degradation level with its warranty,Tesla has replaced Li-ion with a larger one.Tesla road ranger will come to you to cover many repairs.OTA,none to reduced dealership visits.

Re-eval.agreed,OEM needs to know how to repair issues without multiple dealership visits for software updates.

Cons.dealership network's the weak link;price wise&vehicle class,kona electric's still better in range{?}; whose better?

21. Your summary is the reason I originally chose the Kona for the most part and all of that rings true to this day. Except, in my opinion, the looks, I don’t think it’s a particularly good looking car. It’s decent looking but feels designed by committee with an eye on budget.

if you have not had any issues then it’s a great car that can still go toe to toe with new EV’s coming to market with the exception of charge speed. I’ve simply lost confidence in Hyundai.

22. Aside, from a few niggles about some of the car's driver assist features, I like the car. The range is great, good performance, interior is nice, looks good, fair price, comfortable seats and well behaved ride. And my wife likes it. A little noisy at high speeds, but it is not a luxury car. Based on just that I would strongly recommend the car.

However, I have had both the reduction drive and motor replaced on mine because of the clicking. It seems good now (5,000 kms since), but there is still a question of the cause, and whether these fixes are the final solution. It is interesting that many cars have not had this issue, and are up to higher mileage. Would be nice to know the exact problem.

The battery issue is troubling, too. That is a more rare problem (thankfully), and mine has been good. Hopefully, the BMS software updates will prevent any more fires, and ferret out any remaining bad batteries. But again, no definitive info from Hyundai as to the exact cause and what to expect in the long term with these batteries.

The recalls are no issue with me. All new cars nowadays have them, esp during the first couple years of a new model. I would feel even better if they issued recalls for whatever is causing the clicking (motor/reduction drive) issue and the batteries. Maybe they will once this is finally determined. And my dealer interactions have been fine.

So based on all of this, I am on the fence for recommending the Kona EV at this time. There are a lot more new EV cars coming out in the next few years (incl from Hyundai), so will be a lot of good choices to consider, I'm sure. But again, as with any new model, there is a risk, and with EVs I think it is a lot higher. They are more expensive, and if there is a serious issue related to design, could seriously impact the longevity and resale of the vehicle.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Clamps likes this.
  23. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

For those that talk of limited level 3 chargers vs TESLA ... I thought I read somewhere that there is an Adapter that can convert the CCS connector to a TESLA Charger????