Coolant Change, 2020 Niro EV

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by snowy2020, Apr 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

Finally crossed 37,500 miles, and the 2020 Niro EV requires the electrical coolant (blue type low-conductive) to be flushed. Since I could not find any reference to anyone having this done before, I thought I'd leave this information for anyone searching for it.

No issues having the dealer perform the service. It cost $170 (plus tax etc), included fluid exchange and test drive...some kind of test or calibration was required after the service. I also had the brake fluid changed out at the same time, but it was all under 2 hours.

Robert Bratton likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. StuartE

StuartE New Member

I don't recall seeing this being "required" in the maintenance schedule. Do you have a reference for this requirement?

4. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

Sure, here's the maintenance schedule for the 2020. If you have a 2019 this service isn't listed, so you don't need to do it. It's only for 2020+ (and I can't confirm 2021/22 so owners should check their manuals). When you use the Kia portal for your maintenance it also lists it every 37k.
    upload_2022-4-27_17-40-48.png

2019 also uses different coolant while the 2020 uses a blue low-conductive coolant.

Goulart and Robert Bratton like this.
  5. StuartE

StuartE New Member

Thanks so much for posting this! I can absolutely see right up top where it needs to be replaced every 37.5k miles, and the brake fluid. You did well to have all this done for $170. The Kia dealers in my area are all on a quest to find out how to extract every dollar out of unsuspecting EV owners by offering all sorts of extra "important," but not Kia endorsed services.

6. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

The coolant change was $170, the brake fluid was $140, which I thought was pricey for brakes but...it's a dealer, so...anyway I combined them because I didn't want to go for the brakes at 30k just to have to turn around and go back 7k later for the coolant. I doubt the brake fluid needed changing anyway, just following the schedule.

Only reference I could find to this job had mentioned of $1,400 for the coolant which seemed insane! I was dreading it but it turned out ok. Dealer actually seemed to know what they were doing.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. StuartE

StuartE New Member

You did well. :)

snowy2020 likes this.
  9. RGOLD

RGOLD New Member

This is for 2022

Capture.JPG

10. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

Nice. Brake fluid interval is much more reasonable there. Personally even in ICE vehicles I wasn’t doing brake fluid but every 5 years

11. jm31828

jm31828 New Member

I have a 2022- and I know there is also reduction gearbox oil that has to be replaced at I think 80,000 miles- not sure why they left that off of the list above? Could there be anything else missing?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. RGOLD

RGOLD New Member

No need to reduction change gear oil, just inspect:

upload_2023-5-17_6-20-30.png

14. jm31828

jm31828 New Member

Ah, thanks for that clarification.

On another thread, I have seen discussion of the gearbox oil getting very dirty- full of small metal fragments- even after just a few thousand miles, and some mechanics are recommending changing this ASAP- within the first year, as the theory is that this first change will get those initial "break-in" fragments removed, and the car will be good going forward.... the issue seems to be the lack of a good magnet in there to catch these fragments, so they just end up circulating around in the oil.

I am debating asking to go ahead and change that on my first appointment here next month (I'm at 5,600 miles on mine).

15. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

I don’t know, but it makes sense. Mine is at 60k and I have a low whirring motor sound that’s gotten worse. I want to say it started around 25-30k.

16. jm31828

jm31828 New Member

Ah, sorry to hear that. Will you be bringing yours in to check out that whirring sound before warranty expires?

17. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

I’ve tried bringing it in twice and they just tell me the sound is “normal”. My full warranty is already expired, so I only have the 100k powertrain warranty. As it gets worse I’ll keep taking it in, yes. Hopefully I can get the other defects fixed (that I’ve been trying to get them to fix for a year) and sell the stupid thing before I hit 100k.

18. jm31828

jm31828 New Member

What other issues have you been encountering?
    And any thought then, since it sounds like you aren't thrilled with the Niro, on what your next car might be?

Mine is only a year old, and I have been debating trading it for a Tesla Model 3 (now that the price has dropped so much and they qualify for the US tax credit) while my Kia is still worth quite a bit on trade-in.... but I know that could be a whole host of other issues, given the spotty fit and finish issues those have....

19. RGOLD

RGOLD New Member

If you do this and the oil is dirty, we will have another data point not to trust KIA maintenance schedule. Will you be able to get this information from the mechanic?

20. jm31828

jm31828 New Member

Yeah, I will try to ask for results when I do this.
    I have no idea what this service costs, and it's scheduled to be done at like 80,000 miles- so it's disappointing that this is seemingly necessary so early on, and potentially even again in a year or so after- depending on how dirty the oil was the first time around.

I wonder if this was solved in the redesign for the 2023 model?

21. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

The only other major issue is a low coolant alert light that can’t be cleared, it happened after I had the coolant flushed the first time. Been to the dealer several times, Kia corporate was useless, they just always tell me they can’t fix it. However there’s a recall now so I’m waiting to see if that fixes the problem.

I usually keep cars 10 years and I’ve only had this one for 3, so I don’t WANT to replace it especially in this expensive market, but I’m kinda stuck with a car that can’t be serviced. As the car gets older it’s going to need more repairs. I’m kinda riding it out at this point hoping eventually they can fix the car and their service gets better since they sell so many EVs now.

22. jm31828

jm31828 New Member

Yeah, that would be the hope- that as they sell more of these, they are working on more of them as well, and getting better at that.

And knock on wood, that you won't have any other issues- given that Kia overall at this point has a pretty strong record for reliability.

23. RGOLD

RGOLD New Member

Coolant alert and dirty gearbox oil are my concerns for KIA reliability. We own a '22 Niro EV. Flushing the coolant will trigger alert that can not be fixed? Hilarious.