Consumer Reports on latest iteration

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by CR EV, Feb 3, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay Member

I bought the 2019 model as well, the no-frills version. I was really worried when I read about the engine making clicking noises, but mine is still silent. I paid more than what they are asking for a new one now, but I needed to take advantage of the tax break before I retired and didn't have huge tax bills. I have bought 1 cabin filter for it, and when I check it in, the dealership will sometimes rotate the tires, but usually my 7,500 check-ups don't cost me a dime. And all the money I saved on gas, it's made me very happy. Plus, I still love the way it drives and handles, the video does it some disservice because I think it does drive nice, smooth ride, almost no wind noise, traditional styling is nice since I'm not trying to draw attention to myself.

jeff_h likes this.
  4. Keeping in mind that it's a ground-up new car, only the name and horsepower rating is shared with the original model.

5. The 2023 is ground up new? Then why are they discontinuing it after one model year (something I read some months ago. If true, a full redesign seems like a weird investment.) Are you sure it is not the same battery and motor platform?

I saw one in the wild a day or two ago. I am fascinated by the aero blade, which improved range notably. Hurts visibility apparently though, but I will take it for additional quiet.

I saw one in the dealer when I was getting some servicing on my 2019, and they eliminated the center console storage for no good reason.

Here is the video on YouTube so you can run it at double speed. (I really wish it was just an article. I am pleased with the tendency to go to videos and the article is just a brief summary of the contents. I don't want to take the time to watch these things!)

6. I've inspected one in detail under the hood late Oct '22 when it arrived here and the drivetrain is completely different to the original model. The motor is now oil-cooled instead of using coolant directly and has better mechanical integration with the new gearbox, same as or similar to the E-GMP series EVs. The inverter and OBC is more compact and the top trim can do V2L.

I suspect they set the somewhat-arbitrary motor power number to the same value as the outgoing model to maintain relatability to the old model for buyers who compare the specs, but the significantly-lower peak torque value in combination with the not-dissimilar 0-100 km/hr time gives it away as higher revving.

Munro Associates inspected one underneath in a video and a feature I noticed is that the battery cooling plate appears to be external to the pack housing. One potential reason for this variation is that any leakage from that is unlikely to contact pack interior wiring.

It's highly likely that the upcoming new Kona will use the exact same drivetrain.

7. To remove this ad click here.