Closing garage door on charging cable

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by insightman, Jul 12, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I saw this product on InsideEVs Clarity forum. It's an interesting way to protect a charging cable from damage from a garage door closing on it. It requires you to change your garage-door seal and reset your garage-door closer's closed height to make it work, but it's pretty neat.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ghost

ghost Active Member

In addition to the new door seal, I added a foam rubber strip to the garage floor on the side that my 40 amp cable crosses. Seals nicely w/o that product, but it's a pretty cool idea.

4. zedzag

zedzag Member

Do we have any other diy options that don't involve messing with the trim of the garage door

5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I’m waiting till I get the EVSE , I bought a garage defender or weather defender strip, and before I glue it in place, I will cut out a small segment that I can remove to lay the cable when I need to charge outdoors. Most openers are very easy to adjust.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  6. zedzag

zedzag Member

Interesting, I bought the emporia evse but still on the fence whether I want to use it vs just leaving the included cable plugged in to the nema outlet.

SameGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

YUL
    Yeah, same. Waiting for the included Flex, but also waiting for my sales contract to see if I can collect the government EVSE incentive if I order a Grizzl-E, and will decided after that.

9. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

I've been closing my garage door on one of my EVSE cables (Wallbox Pulsar Plus) for a while now without any damage to the cord. Obviously the door isn't completely sealed around the cable though.

I did order some garage door threshold seal strips from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RWS3NX4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) to work up something to get a slightly better seal on around the cord, or to at least stop any water from entering (I don't get a ton coming in, but in a really heavy downpour a small amount will.)

Also wanted those strips since one of my garage doors will pool a bit of water outside of the seal when raining, and once you open the door it'll slide in, hopefully those strips will stop that from happening.

SameGuy likes this.
  10. SameGuy

YUL
    That’s the one I ordered, but the 20-footer (for two 7x9 doors). On my door, as I said above, I plan to cut a small channel to run the charging cable when I need to charge outdoors. Just haven’t cut it yet, as I’m waiting to measure the diameter of the cable on the charger I finally end up installing.

11. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

Yea, that's my plan as well. Figured I'd just carve out a small groove in it for the cord to lay. Replacing the old seal on my garage door as well should allow for a pretty good seal around the cord (and hopefully a good seal even if the cord isn't there).

SameGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.