Climate Control- Target Temp?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dan Albrich, Nov 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

I did some looking before posting this question and didn't see the answer.
    We know the climate control is designed not to kick on if the car is already a comfortable temperature (i.e. not too cold, not too hot).

I was at the beach in Oregon this weekend. The morning temp was 43 degrees so I remotely turned on climate control. It turned on, and worked, but I sort of naively assumed it would go to like 70F and stay there for 30 mins. The app shows the internal temp when you get it to refresh. I saw my car (remotely) go to 70, then 75, then 77F.

This was a relatively cold morning and my car not in the sun. So my question:
    - When one uses climate control, and is in the temp. range where it works, what is the normal target temperature?
    - Does the target temperature change by some calculation based on external temp (or some other thing)? i.e. is it supposed to always be 70F (which is what I guessed), or does it compensate for things like 'wow, its cold, I guess I'll go to 77F'

BTW- open the door, car was very warm inside so the 77F felt good to me, but I didn't let it run the full 30 minutes. It got to 77F in 15 minutes. I guess one wonders if it would of kept getting warmer had I left it running longer. I also never thought anything above 70F would be normal.

-Dan

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Here is the diagram showing the inside and outside temperatures that it’s supposed to be working by. It’s the best description of how it works that I’ve seen. I believe that @jdonalds first posted this for us.
    0EFD86DE-C6A9-4C66-872E-6A1239D3A420.jpeg

Attached Files:

Ceetee and Dan Albrich like this.
  4. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

I’ve been wondering the same thing: KentuckyKen (thanks!) has identified the trigger envelope, but (once on) what it conditions TO remains mysterious.

I have tried some basic experiments (leaving it on HI or LO setting) to see if it tries to reach the temperature last set on the climate control—and I believe it does *not* use this. Perhaps has some generic target temp for heat, and another for cool?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Non scientific, from experience. If conditions (cold) trigger it, my car feels like its about 80 degrees inside. Nice and warm. Very noticible. One need not guess if the climate control triggered. In my climate, I never use climate control for cooling-- there is little need.

Also it is definitely *not* related to last heating setting on the dial. That much I have tested. ie.. if I set to 60 degrees, it does not recover to 60. It recovers to 80 or whatever. Very noticeably warmer than my last setting.