Clarity PHEV Japan features CHAdeMO

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by LegoZ, Jan 15, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

This is something I missed and is definitely interesting to me:

https://global.honda/newsroom/news/2018/4180719eng-clarity-phev.html
    ●PHEV features:

Equipped with the fast charging function, which makes it easier to charge on the go

• In addition to a charge port for normal charging, the Clarity PHEV features a charge port for fast charging*3 and external power output, both as standard equipment. The fast charge based on CHAdeMO international standards provides an 80% charge in approximately 30 minutes*9. Clarity PHEV features the “Comfort Charge” function, which enables the use of air-conditioning units, audio system, seat heater and additional equipment during fast charging, which enables occupant(s) to stay comfortably inside the vehicle while the Power mode is turned on during fast charging.
    • *9Charging time to recover 80% charge from the point where estimated EV drive range is zero. Charging time and chargeable capacity vary depending on the specifications of the fast charger, the environmental temperature of the surrounding area and remaining battery charge.
    upload_2019-1-15_9-47-31.png

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    neal adkins likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Also: In addition to a charge port for normal charging, the Clarity PHEV features a charge port for fast charging*3 and external power output, both as standard equipment. By connecting to a compatible external output device, the Clarity PHEV can supply electricity to external devices*4.
    *3 Compatible with CHAdeMO, the international standards for DC charging for electric vehicles, promoted by CHAdeMO Association.
    *4Maximum power supply of 3kW

4. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

5. DC fast charge is necessary for all electrics, but not vital for Clarity and other PHEVs. It's not great for the battery either (certainly worse than slower charging). My only long term worry about charging is that eventually we might have AC charging only at homes, and all the infrastructure outside becomes high speed DC. I can only charge at work, so that would really hurt me. I don't anticipate that in the next 10-15 years, though.

The Japan one has a few more features, but not worth the extra cost. I love the car (and the environmental and economic benefits), but do wish they hadn't skimped on the luxury as much as they did. Not impressed with the interior....

6. lordsutch

lordsutch Member

The infrastructure for DC charging is so expensive I doubt it will ever displace "destination charging" at places where people expect to be overnight or for several hours, especially since level 2 charging is the sort of thing that can be offered by a business as an inexpensive perk—to the point that Tesla is giving level 2 chargers away with paid installation to businesses and cities and Volta is paying retailers to put their free chargers in parking lots—while DCFC isn't. Even in the case of workplace charging, an employer can buy a lot of AC level 2 chargers for the cost of enough DC chargers to service the same number of employees during the day.

DCFC has a niche for long-distance trips but I don't think it will ever be the most common way people charge.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

We are both just looking at the future through a murky window ... but I think that as the technology evolves that fast charging will become the norm. After all, why not? If it becomes cheaper and the battery technology improves so that it doesn't degrade battery life, why would anyone pick a longer charge time? Most of the time I don't care whether my recharge time is 12 hours or 12 minutes, but if there were no downsides to the 12-minute option, that would be my choice.

After all, no one will ever need more than 640K . . .

insightman likes this.