Clarity Audio updates??? Connection/bluetooth connection issues?

Discussion in 'Honda' started by Teslawannabe, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Teslawannabe

Teslawannabe Member

My question is have you had the dealer update your audio system? Due to upgraded phones/software updates does Honda update the audio software on a regular basis? I did the Nav update but am specifically speaking of an audio/bluetooth software update. My Clarity is at android ver 4.2.2 and the applications: Ver.1.F196.58

2. Teslawannabe

Teslawannabe Member

ver 4.2.2.jpg Wikipedia says android 4.2.2 was released in February , 11 2013. Seems strange a 2018 vehicle would use such an old operating system. I did see a Honda video on updating the Accord 2018 and the Insite 2018 but nothing on the Clarity.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  3. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

I would assume the OS version and infotainment system are tied together. Clarity did not get the new infotainment system that Accord got in 2018 and Civic in 2019. Those apparently use Android 6.0.1 which came out in December 2015. These aren't tablets or phones, these are pieces of automobile hardware, so I am pretty sure they freeze the OS version pretty early in the development cycle for the infotainment systems.

I am in the minority but I am quite happy with the older system because it includes the Lanewatch camera which I absolutely love and knew that I would, whereas many people don't like or don't use it. I have been using a backup camera since 2006 and the more cameras the better in my opinion, I just wish it had one for the left side also, but the right side is more important and I even turn it on in advance of an anticipated lane change like for an upcoming exit (you can manually turn the camera on or off by pressing the button on the end of the stalk).

I use Android Auto almost exclusively so I don't care too much whether the infotainment system is new or old, for me the inclusion of Lanewatch is more important. The newer cars don't have Lanewatch, substituting blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert which is what most people want not a camera. Although that's not part of infotainment but I think it's why Honda decided to drop Lanewatch since it could be considered redundant with blind spot monitoring. The newer system also has a volume knob which is not important to me, the one on the steering wheel is fine, but to some people it's literally a deal breaker on a car purchase, which I am not questioning that it is important to so many people, but for me I'm fine without a knob.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    TomL likes this.
  4. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Giving us the option of picture-in-picture of the side and rear cameras on the screen all the time would be a worthy feature to add. Why should I have to put the car into reverse to show that camera? I don't have to put the car in reverse for the mirror to function. Maybe the new Honda e with its three-foot-wide display will permit showing the cameras continuously.

5. Teslawannabe

Teslawannabe Member

My questing was not stated clearly enough. I am wondering how Honda keeps up with all the bluetooth revisions and different phone updates on our model Clarity's. I use a Note 9 and have no issues but have experienced customers with different brand phones such as husband and wife with different phones having connection issues and android auto issues with Ford Sync systems and Ford has updated several versions such as 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 to address all the changes. I'm thinking the "Applications Ver.1.f196.58" is probably the the audio version level number and is separate from the Android touch screen software. But having said all that it seems no one on the forum has reported needing any updates to address any connection issues, kudos to Honda. :)

Johnhaydev likes this.