Check Electric Vehicle System on a 2019

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by gonfunko, Sep 11, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi all,

Has anyone gotten the Check Electric Vehicle System/warning triangle on a 2019 Kona? I've seen the 2021/2022 threads, but my situation seems a bit different. Specifically:

* Mine is a 2019, which had its original battery replaced under the recall
    * Everybody else with this claims it immobilized the car; I get it every time I start the car/it remains continuously illuminated, but it lets me drive it fine (which is good, considering it first appeared at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon)
    * It seems to have limited AC charging to 80%; the UI still reflects 100%, but it was sitting at 80% and not actively charging this morning.

A few other notes:
    * I'm not sure about DC charging; I charged up to 80% twice on fast chargers after it appeared, but I have my fast charge limit set to 80% anyway, and both charges were uneventful.
    * I haven't tried disconnecting the 12V, since I didn't need to to drive the car and I figured it'd be better for it to be actively showing the warning when I bring it to the dealer (who I'll call tomorrow when they open)
    * The warning appeared in the morning after charging to 100% on a 50A plug at an RV park via a Tesla Mobile Connector + TeslaTap. The prior day was about 500 miles starting from 100% with 3 fast charges, in ~100-112ยบ weather for most of the way, so I do sort of get why it might be angry. OTOH, the car performed great/all those charges worked fine, and I'm now back home after another 500 miles.
    * I ordinarily always AC charge to 80%. On road trips, which I do every 3-6 months or so, I'll DC charging to 80% or AC charging to 100%.
    * I've had an ongoing issue with a Refill Inverter Coolant message appearing intermittently on start; the coolant is full, the first time I took it to the dealer they flushed the system, but it persisted. The second time they noted the 12V battery was dying and suspected that was confusing it, so they replaced that, which reduced the frequency of the message, but I have still gotten the message a few times since, including twice since the Check Electric Vehicle System message appeared.
    * The specific code being thrown per my OBD reader is "P1AA6(00) Status: Test failed, Test failed (current drive cycle), Pending, Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear, Warning indicator requested"
    * The OBD reader also shows a B1285(77) code, which seems to be HVAC related. The AC certainly seems to be functioning normally though!

I suspect this is probably a see-what-the-dealer-says situation, but just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience or has any suggestions in the meantime!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. electriceddy likes this.
  4. DAinLA

DAinLA New Member

Exact same issue for me, Gonfunko.

2019, battery replaced. Charging only to 80% of what it used to before battery issue. I got the warning triangle last week and decided to ignore it as I was busy. After about 4 days, car would not charge anymore. Took it in to dealer, who said nothing was wrong with it and it was charging to 100%. It is working for now. It is clearly charging 80%, while UI still reflects 100%. I haven't had the warning triangle return. Exact same 80% issue has happened to my friend who bought the car a month after me.

I'm interested in just how many people this is happening to. Many want to chalk it up to the drive guessing but this is clearly limited charging and I suspect it's a permanent solution for Hyundai for the battery issue in 2019's - even after recall replacement

5. So I took it in today, and they called back and said that sure enough it'd need a new battery, they'd have to hold it, would be a month or so, etc, but that they were going to run it by corporate. When they did, apparently Hyundai said no need to replace it because there's a new BMS software update forthcoming that they expect will resolve it. The dealer wasn't sure what model years/vehicles it would apply to or exactly when it would be available. In any case, they cleared the code and I have my car back, so fine by me!

Fastnf, KiwiME and Wildeyed like this.
  6. Veit Weber

Veit Weber New Member

Got the warning Sept.12.2022 on my 2021 Kona EV.
    19000km sofar, got it to the dealer since 9 days now, no answer yet what the problem might be... the technician only got some codes , which he now is checking with Hyundai Canada, he is waiting for what to do...no one has offered me a loaner or rental yet! I contacted Hyundai Canada they opened a case and will get back to me regarding a rental.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. TugBoat

TugBoat New Member

Similar story here from Canada:
    Bought a used 2019 from a dealer with the battery replaced shortly before I bought it. Have driven it now for ten months (now at 47,000kms) and a week ago got the "CEVS" light showing up every time I power the car on. I pulled a code from the OBD2 port and got "B1AAA". Car has a brand new 12v battery (AGM) as of a month ago, clearing the code with the code reader and disconnecting the 12v battery have done nothing. The car has not bricked itself (yet) and I charged it up to %100 (as far as I can tell) last night.

Waiting on the dealer to see if any BMS firmware upgrades or recalls have been posted. Don't want to give up my car for six months while they order in a new battery.

As an aside - the AC/DC charge limits in the app do not "apply" on the new app, (much eye rolling) Do they test these things before rolling out new versions?

9. Veit Weber

Veit Weber New Member

Got the answrr after 2 weeks it needs a new battery, which will be here in Jan.2023! ( one hopes...) can't give me a e rental EV, only a had car. Since I am leading my EV on my Solar system I drove for free the last 11 month, now they expect me to drive a gad car and pay for the gas, plus they recommend to by full coverage for the rental, since they are not covering that expense!
    I now have an aggreement that they will pay my gas bill for my RAF 4 I still have until the Batterie is replaced, but I have to send a picture of my odometer now plus all the gas receipts and another picture of odometer at the en...whenever that will be.
    I feel not save with this car, I probably will sell it back to the dealer ones it is repaired, they already agreed to that.
    Very bad PR for the EV movement!

electriceddy likes this.
  10. At least that will cover some of the unexpected expenditures.
    Not sure what you meant, does this mean they were prepared to give you a gas-powered loaner? Even a used one would have been OK, given the lack of available EVs at the moment.
    I would hope it will be quicker than that even with the supply chain issues, perhaps they were quoting a worst case scenario, and it may arrive before year end;)

11. Veit Weber

Veit Weber New Member

They were willing to pay for a rental, but I have to pay for the gas plus it was highly recommended to sign up for full insurance coverage for the rental, which I have to pay up to $15 per day!
    So I took the deal they pay my gas driving my old RAF 4.
    The whole experience was quite terrible, but let's see, may be a miracle will happen and a replacement battery shows up earlier...still might go for their offer to buy it back...?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. TugBoat

TugBoat New Member

Small update - charged to %100 yesterday and the CEVS light did not show for the first drive, all subsequent drives with the battery below %100, the CEVS light came on. Asked stealership to see if there were any firmware updates that could be applied.