Charging

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by opasen, Nov 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. opasen

opasen New Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

I have a Question. Here in The US, President Biden has increased the price of Gasoline all over America. In California where I live Gas is over $8 per gallon in thousands of stations and over $10 in Downtown Los Angeles. Biden says he is doing this because he wants to force everyone to buy Electric Cars. So I was wondering if any of you would be able to answer this question for me?
    Suppose there are 1 Million Teslas in Los Angeles that want to Charge for 30 minutes each on the same day & there are 100,000 Level 3 Superchargers available.
    How Long will it take to Charge All the Cars for 30 Minutes Each?
    *I'm not concerned with the Range the charge will give each Car. Tesla says that a 30 Minute Charge will give the battery about 170 miles of Range using a Supercharger. I just want to know how many Hours or Days it would take to Charge All of the Cars.

4. well that's really easy, just 5 hrs.

5. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

Thank you Dark Night. I knew there was a Math Genius somewhere on this Forum. Of course, we would have to add the time it takes to remove one car from the charger and add another car to the charger. Some like my Hyundai Kona are easier because the charging port is in the front grill and you drive straight into the charger. Do most Teslas have to back into the charger which is on one of the rear fender panels and are they always on the driver's side? If so, that would add extra time.

I can only tell you my experience using a Public Tesla Supercharger twice. My car was in the shop waiting for a part so I decided to rent a Tesla for two weeks and the car came with Free Tesla Charging. I went to the Mall near my house which had 10 Tesla Superchargers that unfortunately were all busy and I had to wait in the Tesla Overflow Que Lot which also had 10 spaces. I went there twice and both times all the chargers were busy and I had to wait in the Que lot. Being 83 years old I rarely ever back into a parking space. It took me about 5 minutes to back in a few times with the help of a Tesla Owner charging next to me to get close enough for the hose to reach. Once in place at the charger, I needed to get help from the same person next to me because I had no idea how to use it. Assuming a person knows how I figure that would take another 2 to 5 minutes time to back into position, put your credit card into the charger or go through about 2 or 3 screens until it recognizes your cars Charging Plan and Credit Card, and attach the Heavy Charging Cables which I found (as a Senior) were very hard to lift and plug into the car's connector because they don't bend and I wasn't close enough. From experience using a public charger 3 times, twice with a Tesla and once with my Hyundai Kona I estimate the total Xtra time it took me to be about 15 minutes. I watched others who were younger and more experienced do it in 5 minutes.

In a perfect world if everyone that had an Electric Car could connect and start charging and then get out of the way for the next person in under 5 minutes that would be great. But I don't see that ever happening. Watching the others who were charging including many women who also had problems backing into their space, connecting the car to the charger, and starting the charger I think 15 minutes is not out of line. One other thing that caused a problem was that I was there about 2 pm in the afternoon all 3 times and it was impossible to see the Charger Screen because of the Sun. Thanks again for your Quick Response, and I apologize for my long reply but I am just trying to get an idea of the REAL Amount of time it would take to charge in addition to the Charging Time. I talked to a lot of people who ask me what it's like to own an EV who think it is like going to the Costco Gas Station. You just Pull up to the Pump, Put the Nozzle into the opening, squeeze the trigger and you are ready to go in 5 minutes. Our local Costco was selling Regular yesterday for $5.80 per gallon and they were so busy the line to get into the Parking Lot was into the street. Waiting time just to get to the Pump was probably 30 minutes.

6. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I just checked Gasbuddy. The average gas price for regular gas in LA was $6.23. Most of the stations are around $5.89 per gallon. I only saw one station at $8 per gallon.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

Marshall, I don't know where you live but I am in So Cal and watch the Los Angeles Evening News Every Night on Channel 11, KTLA. They Show the Station Signs every night and interview people who are filling up and who are Mad as Hell about it. There was a Standard Station in Downtown Los Angeles on Alameda Street that was charging over $10. When the reporter tried to talk to them they told her to get off the property. The Station was reported to the Authorities and has since (Yesterday or the Day Before) dropped to $8 and change. Every Station that I have Seen in Orange County is Charging between $5.80 and $6.40. I was at Costco and they were charging $5.80 for Regular and That is why the Lines were out in the Street. I drove by two Arco Stations yesterday. One was in a High Dollar Neighborhood and it was charging $6.40 while the Arco near me was at $6.05 or $6.09. Can't remember which.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

So I spend $2.75 for 100 miles charging my 2019 Tesla Model 3 Std Rng Plus from home. As I thumb type this note, they added free 6 kWh for just under 30 miles at Whole Foods. Living in Huntsville AL has its advantages.

BTY, Biden has his faults but to claim he jacked up gasoline prices needs a credible source citation. Or was that just another “Q” fantasy. Truth works better than false claims.

Bob Wilson

pictsidhe likes this.
  10. upload_2022-6-2_18-24-45.png

11. bwilson4web

The no source cited claim:
    Cite a credible source and we'll all gain a clue about sources. That silly graph is not a quote. Do you know the difference?

BTW, I got in another conversation after my last posting and my final, free charging was 4.6 kWh. This summer I'm running just under 210 Wh/mi or just about 21 free miles (4600 Who / 210 Whr/mi.) Sounds like the price of gas is about right.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    marshall likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. marshall

Biden is a mixed bag when it comes to oil leases. However, he doesn't have anything to due with the reduction in the number of refineries that's been going on for years. Nor does he have anything to due with the oil companies squeezing the consumers.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MTTRX_NUS_1&f=M

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pnp_cap1_dcu_nus_a.htm

Biden mandates more ethanol in gasoline.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/bidens-epa-finalizes-ethanol-biodiesel-blending-requirements-requiring-largest-amount-on-record/ar-AAY3Dw8

Unfortunately, this is just the preview of what is to come with global warming. The Canadians better start building the their wall and arming their military with nuclear bombs. They are going to need them.

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. marshall

Chevron CEO says he doesn't think there will be any new refineries built in the USA. That goes with the long term trend of consolidation and removal of refinery capacity. The squeeze of the consumer isn't going to end soon.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-03/chevron-ceo-warns-not-to-count-on-new-us-oil-refinery

The only thing Joe can do is remove as many obstacles in the mining and manufacturing of batteries as is politically possible. So far he has done a little by using the defense act, but he needs to hire more mining experts and pressure the EPA to move faster.

The environmental time bomb is ticking. Slow Joe needs to kick it in the butt.

15. Refineries are a HUGE investment. You won't see any as long as this administration is in charge. And the ESG trend continues to hinder that, too. It's too bad as the economy will continue to go down hill with it's high gas and distillate costs and the resulting raging inflation.

It's too bad, as with no money to invest and costs skyrocketing, this will actually slow down the transition out of fossil fuels. Even Elon Musk said as much a few weeks ago.

And shutting down nuclear plants whose energy production will be replaced by coal and nat gas is going backwards.
    https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-environment-watch/owner-says-palisades-nuclear-plant-closed-good-michigan-has-other-ideas
    No good will happen until energy companies, renewables and fossil fuel, can get back on their feet. It is a sad reality, totally contrary to what we all want to happen.

16. marshall

The number of refineries have consolidated and removed for years. This is nothing new! Climate change and not slow Joe is the reason the oil companies will not be investing in new refineries and significant production.

You Canadians better start building your wall and nuclear bombs. You are going to need them when we start attacking because we are starving.

Joe has just issued a reprieve for the solar energy builders. https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-biden-solar-idAFL1N2XT03L

I have no problem with nuclear power. I makes sense to keep the plants currently running a bit longer if we are going to make any progress in climate change. There is a some risk and environmental damage in keeping nuclear power plants operating. However, climate change is a much greater risk. Again, this is a area where Joe can pressure the regulators in moving faster with the new designs.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  17. No need for a wall, haha. We like Americans, have many friends down there. Thankfully, most are smart enough to not blindly believe the puppet masters' narrative and talking points. Even your hero, Elon Musk, has come around. And come November, it will be an even better place down there.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  18. marshall

Didn't the Ukrainians say the same thing.

I fail to see how things will get better with an authoritarian government. If anything, it makes it more likely for the US to invade Canada.

Understand that I see Elon as a mixed bag. Somethings he does are good and some are not so good. I'm certainly not going to nominate him for sainthood.

19. bwilson4web

Also 'Not In My Backyard.' Being from Oklahoma, refineries stink.

Bob Wilson

20. marshall

We have a small one a few miles away. I can't say that I have ever noticed the smell from it. However, I've been to Billings Mt. and I can say it's the armpit of Montana.

Since the oil for the local refinery comes by rail, we are just a heartbeat from disaster.

21. Hmmm, from what I see is going on down south is that your freedoms have never been more at risk than now. Your current govt has been promoting and colluding with big tech on censorship. And individual citizens are being spied on because they criticize the govt. Isn't that what happens in China, Russia, Cuba and other authoritarian regimes?

Having said that, we in Canada have also got our freedoms violated by Trudeau, who is also doesn't like to be criticized.

Anyway, I can tell from your posts, you are a way off from mainstream America, who are very, very unhappy with your current administration and congress. If you are so opposed to your fellow citizen views, I certainly don't expect to change your mind. And no, haha, I certainly don't expect the US in invade Canada. But I am thankful that we at least have a working border between our countries.

I will say, though, that I am beginning to like Elon Musk more and more these days. He gets it. But I still don't like his cars...

22. marshall

So you are alright with overthrowing the government with violent means.

It's going to be tough running a business in that environment.

23. Of course not, but I don't consider parents calling out their school boards for what they are teaching their kids, trying to overthrow the govt.