Charging rate

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by AnthonyEV, Dec 6, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AnthonyEV

AnthonyEV New Member

Hey guys, glad to be here. Electro-mechanic here, so I'll try to help as much as possible.

Got a question regarding the charging rate. I noticed that charging rate at 10% is different than 30% and then 50% on my Kona.

What are the rates at what percentage?

Because let's say at 50% I charge at 57kw but at 25% it's at 30kw... Wouldn't it be more efficient (time-wise) to charge your Kona at 50% to get a better charging rate since it's not proportional?

Thanks for the help.

Anthony

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. This chart will help show the rate at normal temperature conditions:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/kona-electric-dc-fast-charge-speed.2925/page-2#post-61371
    and this chart in colder ambient conditions :
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/sub-zero-charging-rate.7539/#post-84734
    :)

SkookumPete and AnthonyEV like this.
  4. AnthonyEV

AnthonyEV New Member

5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I am curious as to what the curve looks like at -20C. Mainly because I found this for the Chevy Bolt:

https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/fast-charging-experience.31517/#post-475581

This pretty clearly states that at extreme cold temperatures, it will not charge at all. Is this relevant to the Kona - probably somewhat. The battery chemistry is quite similar, and we know from above that Kona tapers when it gets cold. We just don't know the exact parameters. But with no battery heater, you are basically SOL if the battery will not charge at all.

-20F is something I have experienced in the US. Not often, but it does happen.

6. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Glad that I will likely never have to worry about cold temperature charging.. The coldest it'll get here on a extremely cold winter day is about 30F, -1C and my garage temperature is likely never going to drop below 40F/5C

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Minus 25 Celsius this morning in my neck of the woods, on occasion it will get to -36 or so, I hate winter .

9. Francois

Francois Active Member

Sheesh, and I thought it was cold in Quebec where we have - 11 Celsius on average these days. Where are you Apu?

10. Winnipeg. I used to live in Montreal so I can appreciate the humid cold misery in some parts of Quebec but have to admit it can get atypically nut numbing cold on the Canadian prairies, meh at least the summers are nice and mosquitoes plentiful :)

Francois likes this.
  11. Francois

Francois Active Member

You nailed it when you mentioned the humidity. Makes the winters too cold and the summers too hot. I should move to some place dry like Arizona. :)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Curious when you get your Kona what the TMS (battery care) consumption readings will be at those temps.