Charging only to 99%

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by coutinpe, Dec 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Until 3 days ago my Clarity would reach 100%. I always charge at home using a Zencar Level 2 16A charger. Now for some reason charge stops at 99% and there is no way I can make it reach 100%. HondaLink would just "refuse" to restart charging and when trying to unplug/replug the charger, the green light keeps blinking and charge is not restarted. I live n SoCal and the coldest I get when charging is about 47F. Has anybody seen this?
    Thanks,

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I think that you don’t need to worry about this.
    Based on observation and other posts, it appears that the software rounds all figures down. As in 99.9999...% SOC is displayed as 99% and 54.99999...mph is displayed as 54 mph. So you’re actually getting a full charge and this explains why the speedometer usually seems to be 1 mph less than you set the cruise control for.

JustAnotherPoorDriver and Evfred like this.
  4. Evfred

Evfred Member

Thanks for the explanation - hadn’t bothered me but was on the back of my mind wondering.

Just here to put my 2c in for OP - I occasionally have the same 99%.

5. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Thank you both! I probably overreacted a bit since I never saw this before and now seems like the new standard. On the same line of thinking, I also notice that everything on the car display (like EV miles left etc) is rounded down to the smaller integer on HondaLink (ex. 9.9 is rounded down to 9 and not 10). Just programming slips, I guess.

6. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Just as another supporting data point- my car does this intermittently, but only in the winter time. It doesn't seem to be any cause for concern.
    I just think of 99% or 100% as the same thing and all is well. And as you noted, even if you try to stop/start charging again, the 99% does not ever become 100% in my experience. If it decided it's done at 99% then that's what you get.

As others have noted, I also get slower charging speed in winter (it just takes longer to charge) and sometimes I cannot regenerate down a hill the way I do in summer. i.e. it's more common for the charging chevrons to get stuck at say 3 or even 2 -- for me in the winter. It's like the car is saying I cannot take that much charge, that fast, right now. i.e. due to cold climate. And again, doesn't seem to be any problem.

It seems the car matches my mood. In the winter I don't feel as energized myself :)

coutinpe likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

Me too. Sometimes 99%, sometimes 100%. Being I picked up on the rounding down thing early on I haven’t given it a second thought.

Based on what Dan said I am curious if it will happen more as the temperature drops.

On a semi related note I had an IBM (pre-Lenovo days) Laptop that had the same habit of sometimes just charging to 99%.

The plain fact of the matter in the case of the car or the laptop the fraction of 1% is not significant anyway.

We know with the Clarity it will always rounds down. So 99% is actually some value pretty close to 100% which is why charging stopped. Battery voltage is not exact indicator of charge anyway but to keep things simple let’s make some assumptions... use the EPA 47 mile range as an average and assume it charged to 99.75%. 0.25%=0.0025, so 0.0025 x 47=0.1175 miles which is completely negligible.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  9. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Haha. Now for some arcane reason it charged up to 100% as it used to be. Nothing to lose sleep about...

10. Raymondca

Raymondca Member

Now 100% becomes a lottery. Since winter I was only able to get 100% once, when I charged my car in a Toronto Hyundai Dealer on a warm day(around 0ºC).

11. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

:eek:

12. To remove this ad click here.