Charging in the time of coronavirus

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Timothy, Mar 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Timothy

Timothy Active Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

LOL. I did that a few times at public chargers and I thought I was the only one.

Timothy likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

InsideEVs has an article about how EV owners are able to avoid touching dangerous, germ-laden gas-pump handles.
    > Numerous studies have concluded that gas pumps are among the dirtiest surfaces you'll encounter.

Domenick likes this.
  5. Does anyone know anyone who became ill from touching a gas pump?

Aren’t there articles about all the cooties on phones, keyboards, door knobs, etc?

David Towle likes this.
  6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Since the majority on this form seem to be, how shall I put it, umm... very life experienced and in need of extended warranties, this is a great thread. Thanks, @Timothy for reminding us to be safe since most of use are in the high risk category.

I always keep several pairs of nitrile gloves in a Zip Lock baggie in the trunk cubbie. They are oil and chemical resistant and very useful for underhood work, tire changes, or helping others with roadside emergencies. Now we can add another use for them. (Cue BeeGees “Staying Alice”)

Buy the 5mm blue ones at Harbor Freight, 100 gloves for 5-6 bucks. Good for plumbing and walking the dog (I no longer trust a Kroger bag; don’t ask me why!).

Update: 5mm are not showing up. You can get 100 3 mm for $6.99 which would be sufficient for disposable use for the charging handle. Or 50 for $22.99 9mm heavier ones for roadside use.

As an old broken down molecular biologist that retired from managing a clinical research lab, I can tell you that just avoiding aerosol transmission by keeping away from crowds and coughing people is not enough. The main spread now that COVID-19 is here is going to be person to person by either direct (eg. hand touching) or indirect (touching a surface that an infected person touched beforehand). If one then touches any mucous membrane on their body (like mouth, nose, eyes, privates) the virus has a ready entry point. And we all touch these places multiple times a day and much more often than we think we do. It will be a hard habit for many of us to break. I’ve gone to elbow bumping and, sigh, no more hugs from pretty girls (sorry for my Boomer showing). I meant beautiful women.

So wash, alcohol, and glove away, while avoiding crowds and not touching your face and we should get through this. And in a pinch, if you don’t have gloves, Saran Wrap or even foil will be a better disposable barrier on the public charging handle than nothing.

Last thing. Please remember there is a correct way to remove the gloves without exposing yourself to what’s potentially on their outside layer. Basically you act as if every single square inch of the outside is dirty or infected. They won’t pull off by the fingers, and you can’t slide a “dirty” gloved finger underneath the cuff to roll them off or you’ll defeat the protection. You first pinch the outside of the cuff and pull the glove fully inside out until the uncontaminated side is on the outside. You can then use your bare (safe) finger to remove the remaining glove by sliding it under the cuff without touching the potentially contaminated outside. Then roll it over the first glove leaving both in one wad inside out that can be disposed of safely since all potentially infectious surfaces are on the inside. That makes you safe and the janitors and waste disposal crew safe.

If you use just a single glove, the procedure is a little different. Also, you have to be very careful not to touch any common surface with the other hand (hint: keep it in your pocket).
    Still treating the entire surface of the single glove as if it were deadly infectious, you take your bare finger of the non-gloved hand that hasn’t touched anything and run it under the cuff, touching only the inside of the glove and roll inside out as above.
    As the Sergeant said on Hill Street Blues, “Hey, Let’s be safe out there!” (Boy, is my Boomer showing on that one)

Thanks again, @Timothy, this is going to take a whole lot of proactive habit breaking and relearning in order to stay safe.
    Like public charging, not loaning phones, etc.

PS: There is also a correct way and many incorrect ways to use the N95 masks. Most are using them in ways that defeats the whole purpose of wearing them. Like gloves, the protection comes from the system of usage and not any one step or material. Kind of like the chain only being as strong as it’s weakest link.
    Sorry, this post got long.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    TomL, Domenick, Cash Traylor and 4 others like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

All the more reason to continue home charging! :) And another advantage of electric vehicles. Less exposure to infection.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  9. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

critical decisions.jpg
    Just remember to buy enough for your neighbor in this time of need.

Cheers and God Bless,
    Cash

10. I don't know about people getting sick from touching gas pumps, but it's certainly possible. Sadly, it also possible now for charging stations.

This article on Business Insider says the coronavirus can live up to three days on plastic surfaces, which is ridiculously longer than I expected. So, I think the OP's solution would work pretty well -- just be careful not to touch the wrong side of the paper (I don't think it can make its way through paper but if someone knows better, please speak up). Of course, if you happen to be in possession of disinfecting wipes (good luck trying to find in stores now), wiping down handles would be helpful and appreciated. And, as Ken expertly laid out above, nitrile gloves are a great solution.

Cash Traylor likes this.
  11. While we're discussing it, anyone have any good suggestions for cleaning the leather steering wheel of the Touring model? My car is garage parked by attendants, and while I have no particular knowledge that any of them have been or are sick, it seems prudent to clean my steering wheel before I drive.

Don't want to ruin the leather, though.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I can give you some feedback from actually using alcohol on the leather Touring steering wheel. I had to start twice daily injections before meals and of course had to swab the injection site with an alcohol pad first. Many times this is occurs in the car prior to eating out or drive through.
    So for the last year, I have been using the leftover alcohol pad to clean the leather steering wheel. I can attest that frequent use of 60-70% isopropanol/water does not dry out or otherwise negatively affect it. And I have been observing it closely to be sure I wasn’t damaging it. I did treat it with a leather conditioner when it was new but not in the last year and I can’t tell that it’s changed in any way.
    So I would advise that disinfecting it during the present COVID19 crisis will not harm your leather steering wheel.

TomL, Domenick, Cash Traylor and 2 others like this.
  14. K8QM

K8QM Active Member

I didn't want to create a new thread called "Packing in the time of coronavirus", so I'll put these here.
    My wife and daughter made the 3+ hour drive to my daughters college Saturday to just get her books and winter clothes. However once they got started they ended up getting everything but her (hand-me-down) dorm fridge in the Clarity. Yes, that's a memory foam mattress shoved through a coat hanger.

appload1.jpg appload2.jpg appload3.jpg

geo

15. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

My wife made a similar drive to pick up a grand-niece from college in Vermont. 6 hours up, 6 hours back the next day. Kids were throwing away *tons* of stuff that they couldn't fit in the car. Fridges, microwaves, clothing, you name it.

K8QM likes this.
  16. I don’t need to worry about cleaning the charger as my office, my only source , is closed due to confirmed cases. I won.

17. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

The Honda Clarity Sport Utility Sedan in action! Hmmm, maybe another "badge" I need to add? ;-)

Cheers,

Cash

Domenick and K8QM like this.
  18. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I haven't needed to charge much myself - working from home, and the car stays in the garage. I will need to go into the office next week some time as there is a hard drive that is failing that needs to be replaced. But I would be the only one in there. Once I get the new hard drive in and it is replicating properly, I would just turn around and come home.

19. Timbomac

Timbomac New Member

Haha, coors banquet right?

20. izudin

izudin Member

MA
  21. izudin

izudin Member

MA
  22. Timbomac

Timbomac New Member

Cash Traylor likes this.
  23. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I was able to get a growler fill earlier today. Now they wouldn't fill the growler that I brought in - they would only fill a clean new one, but I have to bring it back in a couple of days. I guess they will run it through their dishwashing machine? Don't know yet.