charging in a 120 volt /30 amp TT30R plug at camp site.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by polytech90, May 28, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. polytech90

polytech90 New Member

Has anyone tried to charging at a camp site using the 120 volt / 30 amp TT30R plug available in this sites?

Attached Files:

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Best you can achieve is 2880W (120V * 30A *.8), there are portable EVSEs out there with adjustable current/ voltage settings available, however I would use the 14-50 if possible shown in the right your picture resulting a more desirable charge rate.
    Not sure what the current settings are in Ionic 5 software, but I am sure set to maximum would not exceed 12 Amps ( 1440 W) in the 120V L1 setting .

4. Aren't both of those 220-240V outlets? Looks like 50 amp and 30 amp breakers. I bought my portable EVSE for just such a scenario, although haven't had the opportunity to put to use. Both my 220V fixed EVSE installation in the garage and the portable (Mustart) use an outlet like the one on the left of the photo. I bought an adaptor to be able to use a 4-prong outlet such as the one on the right.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. Note the single pole 30A breaker feeding the receptacle - 120V. listed as a TT-30 type receptacle
    [​IMG]
    Picture upside down, but the NEMA configuration, current and voltage can be read below the ground slot.

Bill Carter likes this.
  6. Thanks eleceddy. You didn't specify what voltage the right outlet would be but it looks like the breaker on the left is 50A, so wouldn't it be 22V? Suitable for a standard Level 2 EVSE.

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Correct, the 2 pole 50A breaker feeding the 14-50 outlet supplies 120/240 V. Continuous load can be up to 9600W (40A) which will be suitable for your Mustart EVSE.
    Of course your EV6 has an on board charger capability of 48A (11.52 kW), but the outlet pictured will not be able to handle that assuming the wires feeding it are not sufficient, or the demand is too much for the installation.

Bill Carter likes this.