Charging Flap Won’t Open

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by fizzit, May 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

I just pulled my car into my garage today and the exterior flap to access the charging port won’t open! I think I can hear the solenoid clicking to unlock the flap when I click the unlock button on the key fob, so it seems to be a mechanical issue. It hasn’t been cold at all here so it can’t be frozen.

Has anyone experienced this, or does anyone have any ideas for something to try before taking it to the dealership? I messed with it with my plastic trim tools a little bit but I don’t want to risk damaging it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Mine sometimes sticks, but usually a gentle but firm fist bump on the flap will open it. Or simply press very firmly on the left side of the flap.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. YIKES

5. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Sadly I’ve tried smacking it, firmly pressing it, whispering sweet nothings to it, and gently caressing it, all to no avail.

6. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

Haven't had this happen, but man does that get me thinking...Let us know what you do to resolve!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Is it fully latched or can you gently try pulling on the door? I don't believe the door actually locks (just the charging cable handle locks)

I accidentally pushed in the little peg that locks the door before and it ended up not correctly attached to the door and I remember it being a little difficult to open.

The little peg rotates 90° as it's pushed in to lock into a slot on the door. The mechanism seems similar to the one in a click top pen so it won't release if not pushed in far enough. Maybe something is pinched in the door?

download.jpeg

SameGuy likes this.
  9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The door does indeed lock when the vehicle is locked, so nobody can siphon electrons out of your battery. More likely it's just a holdover from the ICE design.

GetOffYourGas and Carsten Haase like this.
  10. Carsten Haase

I guess I've never actually locked my car when it's in the garage!

I played with the retention pin a bit and it feels like the locking mechanism is something that prevents the pin from pushing in fully to toggle to the extension.

@fizzit have you tried locking/unlocking the car while slightly pushing on the charge flap?

11. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Thanks for the info, I had no idea that’s how it worked. I did try unlocking it while pressing but I’ll try a couple more times. It feels just like when it’s locked when I press on it, so almost seems like the unlocking mechanism is stuck, although I’m pretty sure I can hear it actuating.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

MINI does provide an alternative entry solution if the electric door locks fail, but there does not seem to any clever way to open the charging hatch if that lock fails.

Do you have enough range to get your SE to the dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

14. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

If not, you should get free towing to the dealer under your warranty.

15. I'll be watching this thread.. o_O hope you figure it out! Yikes!

16. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Luckily the dealership’s only a few miles away and I have 70% in the tank. I’m hoping to take it in on Thursday. Got home today and tried to mess with it a little more, popped open the tail light access panel on the interior and tried to reach the charge port area but couldn’t feel anything of interest.

Matt007b likes this.
  17. Carsten Haase

I'm pretty sure the access to the back side of the charge port is through the wheel well (behind the liner) since that's where the HV cables come down from

fizzit likes this.
  18. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I wander why BMW/MINI SE geniuses did not put simple rope to open door mechanically manually like they did on BMWI3 which was hidden in fender structure. C7B7228E-553D-4CAC-9775-48DF09756138.jpeg

19. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Is nothing there behind charge port just wiring for the unit. Which is stack from outside looks to me like that relise unit should be keep clean to maintain a motion forward and back

20. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

This is where the Tesla easter eggs come in handy. I didn't believe this when i read it, so I confirmed it with a suitemate who has one. Say "open butthole" and the charging port door opens.

GvilleGuy and revorg like this.
  21. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Well I’m at the dealership, they said they don’t have an appointment right now but they can remove the door now and replace it when I get a service appointment LOL

22. Ugh! This is why I hate car dealerships with a passion... sorry to hear that :confused:

*course I guess what else can they do without the part but still... wonder what the deal is? Actuator?

23. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

I may have been too quick to despair. Turns out they have a door in stock, which comes with the actuator, so they’re swapping it right now. Sounds like it is the actuator that’s bad. I kinda want to ask them to just remove it so this doesn’t repeat LOL

KimB and Matt007b like this.