Charging costs going up in Sudbury now ((((

Discussion in 'General' started by miatadan, Oct 3, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Six months ago here in Sudbury, there was 2 or 3 places where you could charge your electric vehicle for free...

Now that has changed, you are now charged by the hour parking costs + paying energy costs by the minute or hour. Other locations $18 per hour.

Least expensive charging cost here now in Sudbury is the Tesla superchargers.

When you can only charge at level 1 at home ( 120V ) , this is definitely a factor in choosing an EV, at least in my city.

At least in British Columbia there is free charging.

Dan

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DJP

DJP Active Member

If you are thinking of the BC Hydro chargers being free, not anymore.

4. Some still are, and the Petro-Canada ones are free until Apr 22, 2022. All my charging is still free, and still have yet to pay for a charge since I got my EV.

John Lumsden likes this.
  5. bluzer1

bluzer1 New Member

On the prairies there is still free L2 and a couple free DCFC, at least in Saskatoon.

We have low power L2 in my condo so don’t need to use them much.

But we just did a long trip to eastern ON and I was glad to pay $3/min or $18/hr to be able to get there.

The problem was that half the PetroCan stations are down, both in a few cases. And for weeks at a time! They don’t seem to be taking this seriously. I’m thinking they didn’t by spares or hire enough qualified maintenance staff.

What saved our bacon was Co-op in the Prairies and Ivy in northern ON. Still running the gauntlet from mid-MB into western ON was to fun.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

6. bluzer1

bluzer1 New Member

* no fun!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. You are still financially better off with an EV, even paying retail prices for electricity, especially if you can gain 12-15 kWh overnight on a 110V at home. What it will cost you more is time.