Charging at 60 amps issue

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by ebennettr, Dec 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ebennettr

ebennettr New Member

With my ChargePoint I sometimes can’t charge at 60 amps. If I try it gutted to the default kw level. If I reduce the amp setting in the ChargePoint settings to 50 amps I get 8 kw. The circuit is 60 amp. ChargePoint already provided a replacement unit because the first one had the same symptoms and thought it could be a faulty unit.

Is it the ID that’s the problem? Suggestions? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. midsail

midsail New Member

Greeting n Happy Holidays
    I am not an electrician but did research when first buying an EV. After reviewing several make n models. All of the EV chargers including the Charge Point, recommendation when installing a 60 Amp breaker it would delivered 48 AMP (max) safely. There are some safety issue when install the circuit breaker. Found a simple expansion for this safety recommendations at the following website:

https://bigceramicstore.com/pages/info-ceramics-kiln_powerCURRENT (AMPERAGE OR "AMPS")
    *Kilns is a ceramic oven, but this article gives a pretty good explanation of allowed amperage.

120 V kilns usually go up to 30 amps maximum.
    208 V and 240 V Kilns are designed for 30, 40, 50 amps or more. At 48 amps and above, kilns do not come with plugs; instead they must be wired directly into your power supply. This is because good electrical design practice limits the amperage requirements of a kiln to 80% of the circuits rating. The largest rated commonly available plug/receptacle you can get is 50 amps. The next larger sized breaker is 60 amps. 80% of that is 48 amp, hence the limit.

The circuit/breaker requirement for a kiln is always about 20% greater than the kiln is expected to pull. This is to allow for short surges in power without tripping the breaker or blowing the fuse. So a 48 amp kiln needs a 60 amp breaker, etc.

Hope this helps

4. ChargePoint is a brand of EV charging services generally marketed to businesses and/or property managers. (See https://www.chargepoint.com )

Do you possibly mean "another" type of personally-owned Level-2 EVSE? If so, what is the make/model?

From a "technical" perspective ... EVSE only "supplies" what the vehicle "demands" ... it doesn't "push" power per se.

(Using your residence as an example ... you might have 24 kW available from your utility (100A @ 240 VAC)... but the 60-watt incandescent light bulb in your table lamp still only "draws" 0.060 kW)

Upon connection to AC EVSE (a.k.a. L1 or L2), the EVSE communicates to the vehicle's charge controller how much it can provide ... the vehicle in-turn should then only "draw" up-to that rate. (although it may draw less)

Lastly, and FWIW, a properly-designed and installed 60-Amp circuit shouldn't normally have more than 48-Amps (11.5 kW @ 240 VAC) of continuous load.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  5. Dupe post deleted.

6. Electra

Electra Active Member

You didn't look hard enough, the home EVSE is under the drivers section.

https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers/home/

OP, if looks like you're using the wrong Amp setting in the software, try using only 48A to see if that helps. And to be clear, your EVSE is hardwired and not plugged into an outlet, right?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Doh!

Right you are. Thanks!

(As I'm now "officially" shopping for home EVSE ... having picked-up my ID.4 Saturday ... we now have another option to be evaluated)

ebennettr: I should have clarified that an ID.4's internal AC->DC rectifier (the onboard charger) is only spec'd at 11 kW.

That means that it shouldn't draw in excess of 48A @ 240 VAC. (and if it does, it's indicative of a problem)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021