Charging and power outages

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by KonaTom, Apr 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what happens when the power goes out during a trickle charge (or even a level 2 charge)? Does the charging resume when power is restored?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. To my knowledge the EVSE just resets and restarts but it may depend on which brand you have. I have a JuiceBox Pro and it will just reset and continue where it left off.

4. I would think you're right. The level 1 cable doesn't even have any buttons (other than Amp select). You plug it in and it charges. So a power loss is basically no different than unplugging and plugging back in.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Shawn Schinkel likes this.
  5. KonaTom

But they say to plug in the household current first when trickle charging, then the car. If the power fails, both will be plugged in same time when it comes back on, and I wonder if that will be an issue. I had a short power outage last night, but I had disconnected the charger before I went to bed, but starting wondering what would have happened if it was plugged in overnight. Hopefully it will just start charging again, or it could be an issue for some people.

6. I believe the Evse has to do a 'handshake' with the car before it sends power so the unit will have to wake up first before it will allow power to flow. The Evse has signal wires in the cord section that connects to the car. When you plug it in, the car and the Evse will make the handshake, the Evse will tell the car how much power it can supply (16amp, 32amp, 40amp etc), the car will tell how much it wants (Kona maxes at 30ish I believe), then the Evse will begin supplying power until the car says stop.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KonaTom

I only trickle charge, so hopefully it will work okay. Waiting for the govt. to restart the home charging grant to get an evse. I guess one thing I could try would be to plug it into the car first, then the 110 plug and see if it works, or if I can figure out what circuit breaker to pull and test it that way.

9. It should be the same, the trickle charger still has to do the handshake routine. I believe that is part of the J1772 standard (the cord end that you plug into the car is generally called a J1772 connector because it is only used with the J1772 charging standard).

10. You can test it by turning off the breaker that your trickle charger is plugged into while the car is charging, and then turning it back on in a bit and seeing what happens. The car should just treat it as a disconnected cord and do the handshake process over again.

11. KonaTom

Good to know, thanks.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KonaTom

going to try that today!

14. Exactly.

Or your car blows up, so don't stand right next to it!

15. I'm confident enough I'll test it for ya right now. Standby :)

Esprit1st likes this.
  16. KonaTom

Yes, I did the same. I plugged it into the car first then 110 plug and it worked, then turned circuit breaker off and back on, the it continued to charge. Thanks.

17. I hope you didn't confirm your car blew up.

18. Correct! The car is intact and so is the charger :)

Esprit1st likes this.
  19. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Damn My Kona blew up luck of the draw I guess LOL..

Esprit1st likes this.