Charging above 50kw

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Kevster, Dec 29, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Kevster

Kevster New Member

Has anyone had an issue with their Kona electric when using rapid charger above 50kw it tries to start and stops immediately and says car has done something unexpected? It charges fine up to 50kw but the chargers that faster than that it refuses. It used to work fine?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ansonchappell

ansonchappell New Member

Is this just at one station, or have you experienced this at multiple places?

4. eastpole

eastpole Active Member

Chargers are usually pretty carefully labeled with a manufacturer and model identifier (and maybe a version number) -- if there's a new problem, it'll typically be with one (but not all) kinds of fast charger. So to track down a problem, you'll need to add that information to your report. I agree that I used to occasionally see 65 or 72 kW charging on my Kona (but I haven't used fast chargers much recently.)

5. Kevster

Kevster New Member

I tried it multiple grid serve chargers with the same issue and instavolt. The main thing I can think of is the cable is quite stretched and maybe the speed between the car and charger is taking to long. The instavolt charger that is stationed in front of the car seems to be no issue? But this seems unlikely

6. Humane

Humane New Member

I've had that issue. I unplug and then plug back in and it works. Side note-when new, it could charge at 74 kw. Now I only get about 42kw. Dealer couldn't offer an explanation, just that "it varies'

7. To remove this ad click here.