Charger shutting down early

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by BobS, Apr 13, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. BobS

BobS Active Member

On several occasions the charge system shuts down prematurely. It has happened with two different level 2 chargers. It happens after it has been charging several hours and usually around 70%

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Geezer

Geezer New Member

To what percentage do you have the charge set?

4. BobS

BobS Active Member

Generally I charge to 80% unless I think I'm going to need the extra miles.

5. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    I think the question was to find out if the IONIQ 5 was set to stop charging at 70%. You can set limits for each home (AC) and away charging (DC) levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. Remember charging will stop if you unlock the doors with the key FOB.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Why does it do that? Does charging also stop if you unlock the doors by walking up with the fob in your pocket? What if you use the key (I'm assuming the Ioniq 5 comes with a key in the fob and a keyhole in the driver's door)?

9. No, charging doesn't stop if you walk up and the doors unlock themselves.

Since the connector locks to your vehicle while charging, you need a way to stop charging. Some EVSE have no stop button.

insightman likes this.
  10. BobS

BobS Active Member

I have not had a premature shut down for several weeks, the problem seems to have gone away.

11. I don't know if its the same thing but I also had a couple charge sessions with premature shuts down this week. I thought I had it traced to my EVSE's j1772 charge plug, now I am not so sure.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CapeCodI5

CapeCodI5 Member

I had an early shutdown at a public charger yesterday, after 2 hours and at 71%. SEL, AWD, with a max limit of 90%. But it’s unclear if the charger had a 2 hour limit.

14. ironic ioniq

ironic ioniq New Member

I have had the same trouble with my Level 2 charger at home. Only added about 15 per cent charge. When I opened my car door got voice message "Charge Failed". There was a Canadian TSB about this issue. The IONIQ GUY on U-Tube seems to have a in with Hyundai America, so thinking whomever his contact is sent this. The bulletin indicates that it could be caused by dirty contacts on the onboard charge port. However, not so sure. I bought a aftermarket cover for the charge port area, just for that reason, to keep the contacts from getting dirt or water on them. Will be bringing this up with the service department when I get my one year check up.

electriceddy likes this.
  15. A wise idea if charging is done exposed to the elements.
    I tend to use a simple piece of cardboard gently held under the hood of my Kona as rain is not unusual around these parts. Works well to keep the moisture from the J1772 connector contacts as well as keep the charge port free of contaminates that would otherwise freely run in.
    Kona EV has had documented issues with dirt/moisture creeping into the latch assembly and has been a culprit for issues as charge port not opening.