Home Charger reviews by Tom Molougney

Discussion in 'General' started by Domenick, Mar 17, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. @Tom Moloughney is a long-time EV owner and advocate. He was involved in the BMW Mini-E program way back when, has hosted a public charging station for years, and conducts thorough tests on home charging equipment. He posts videos of these tests, along other great electric vehicle content on his channel, State of Charge.

Since home charging equipment (EVSE) is something many have questions about, I thought it makes since to feature his reviews here, so people can have a sense of what the best options might be for them.

I'll try to update this thread with new reviews as they're published.

Also note, he does not get a commission from sales and is not paid to do these reviews.

First up: the ChargePoint Home Flex

GvilleGuy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. To remove this ad click here.

4. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I watched the Chargepoint Home Flex review (which I had installed several weeks back). Very thorough review, and good to know that he rates it highly. This thread will be a great research tool.

Domenick likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I don't know if the forum has a 'knowledge base' mode where posting can be viewed by title and subsequent revisions easily handled. Products change it helps if updates can be edited to the original product thread(s).

Bob Wilson

6. dGarry48

dGarry48 Member

I admire Tom's work and dedication.

Tom Moloughney likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

Perhaps a subforum for EVSE plus Fast DC chargers? Title "Chargers"?

Each subform can be specific to each maker with models as thread? The moderators can make sure the maker layer remains valid.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  9. That's not a bad idea, Bob. I was trying to figure out something like this.

electriceddy likes this.
  10. Sounds like a good way to list the category, that way it doesn't get lost while keeping current to new products. Additional input from Tom would be awesome as well, as he doesn't post much on this forum and we sure appreciate his insight concerning charging in general.
    BTW I think you meant an acknowledgement to Bob, unless I missed something:oops:

mho, Domenick and bwilson4web like this.
  11. I did, and thanks for mentioning it. Apologies to you as well, Bob. I should get your name right after all these years.

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

In the world of problems, this is a nit.

Domenick likes this.
  13. Tom Moloughney

Tom Moloughney InsideEVs Staff Subscriber

Thank you!

14. Tom Moloughney

Tom Moloughney InsideEVs Staff Subscriber

Thank you - it is a great unit.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  15. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

I installed the Chargepoint Home Flex and agree with everything in the review. My only complaint, and it's minor, is that the amp settings when setting it up only offered 40a and 50a choices in the plug in section. To set it to match the 20a circuit I used, I had to use the hard wired section. Fairly simple, but could easily confuse some people. And yes, I know why they did this.

As far as cost, it's not cheap. But I got a $500 rebate from my PUD. Between that and the Federal tax credit, total out of pocket was ~$60.

Thank you for doing these reviews.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Inside EVs mobile app

Tom Moloughney and GvilleGuy like this.
  16. DavidC

DavidC New Member

Tom, hope you get your hands on a Rivian home charger soon to review. I’ll be deciding between it and the ChargePoint. Leaning ChargePoint but a five-year warranty on the Rivian is a nice perk. Still like ChargePoint’s app.

Tom Moloughney likes this.
  17. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

The mention of app in the thread got me thinking. Is it possible to download the apps for the units to be able to look through the app before making a purchase decision? The quality and ease of use of an app can make a big difference since it would be used often and a painful app would lessen the experience with a particular charger.