ChargePoint Error "unable to find charger"

Discussion in 'General' started by Stacey4me, Jun 24, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Stacey4me

Stacey4me New Member

Hi, I wanted to see if anyone had a similar issue. We've had a ChargePoint Home Flex for exactly a year when it started blinking white, which means the station needs to be activated, well our station had already been activated for a year. After several days and several attempts we could not get it to activate and contacted ChargePoint. After several days (and tweets and calls) later someone contacted us, determined the problem was the unit and sent us a new one. They deleted the other unit from our account, so we plug in the new unit and when trying to install the error "unable to find charger" is displayed. We went through all the trouble shooting (wifi working, bluetooth on, etc) and nothing worked. Called ChargePoint again and the support wants to send out a new unit. Has anyone else had this issue and know of any other problem other then we just need a new unit?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. wasabi

wasabi New Member

Hi @Stacey4me. Were you ever able to resolve the issue? I'm facing the same exact problem. We have received two units and both have the same exact issue.

In the app it just scans for about 20 seconds and then says "Unable to find charger". I have tried three different devices all of which have functional bluetooth. ChargePoint is saying it's a faulty bluetooth module but I have a hard time believing that both units are faulty.

4. Stacey4me

Stacey4me New Member

Hi, @wasabi It was probably a multitude of things that finally solved my problem. It sounds like your outlet is fine (they also told me something was wrong with my outlet, but I had an electrician confirm all was well), so it may be your internet/Wi-Fi. We had recently gotten a new "upgraded" Xfinity/Comcast cablebox/wifi router and it seemed to not have as much range as the previous one. In searching for a fix we started looking at other chargers and one of them explicitly said basic requirements were, "2.4GHz band Wi-Fi network (not 5 GHz)" and "Signal strength of -67 dBM or greater where charger is located". With that information we separated out our Wi-Fi it was combined in our system settings and supposedly devices will just pick the one they need, but not sure the ChargePoint was doing that step. We also purchased a Wi-Fi extender. One or both of those solved the problem. I also wrote a letter to the ChargePoint's Chief Customer and Operations Officer, Rick Wilmer, and Chief Technology Officer, Eric Sidle, and was eventually contacted by them who put me in touch with a senior technical person. I ended up figuring out my above fix before they responded to my letter, but I think that is a good route to go if you don't have success.

Attached Files:

5. wasabi

wasabi New Member

In my case I cannot even get to the initial communication step where it connects to the ChargePoint over a Bluetooth connection. I have a strong Wi-Fi signal in the location where the ChargePoint charger is.

Additionally. I have a hardwired installation so there is no outlet.

6. Stacey4me

Stacey4me New Member

That was my same issue, it seemed it was a Bluetooth issue, because I could not get the initial communication to work, but as soon as we did the above two things it connected, I don't understand why it seems to need a Wi-Fi nearby before the Bluetooth connection will work. We also had no issues for the first year with our original cable box/Wi-Fi router.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Stacey4me

Stacey4me New Member

9. wasabi

wasabi New Member

ChargePoint is supposed to send me a replacement unit. They’ve declared it’s a failed Wi-Fi module. Now I can’t reach anyone over at ChargePoint to get the fedex tracking info for the replacement. It’s been over a week since their support stopped responding to me. I’m incredibly disappointed. Needless to say I would absolutely return it and get my money back if I could.

10. Stacey4me

Stacey4me New Member

I definitely understand, like I said earlier I eventually sent a letter to Chief Customer and Operations Officer, Rick Wilmer, and Chief Technology Officer, Eric Sidle and received a return call from Mr. Wilmer's office. They were going to trouble shoot with me one last time and if they could not get it working, he was going to give me a refund. Fortunately, by then all the trouble shooting I did above (to include a Wi-Fi extender) fixed my problem. I had my unit for a year with no extender and it worked perfectly, the new Wi-Fi box seemed to have less range and we were not getting the same -67 signal strength and that seemed to be at least one of the problems.

11. Lee Kahler

Lee Kahler New Member

I'm having the exact same issue where it says "unable to find charger" Even using 2 different iPhones. Good Wi-Fi signal as well.

When they sent you a replacement, did they pay for the electrician to replace the units?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. charlie323a

charlie323a New Member

In the app it just scans for about 20 seconds and then says "Unable to find charger". I have tried three different devices all of which have functional bluetooth. ChargePoint is saying it's a faulty bluetooth module but I have a hard time believing that both units are faulty.