Charge station icons on Nav map

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Joe Ventre, Jun 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Joe Ventre

Joe Ventre New Member

When using the built-in Nav system in the Ioniq 5 is it possible to get the map to show icons for certain POIs, especially Charging Stations? Google Maps and Waze show icons for things like restaurants, gas stations, etc (I think charge stations are also possible or coming soon). IT would be nice to have the Nav map show the same info as you drive.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I am sure it worked in my Kona a couple years ago, I remember us driving onto a parking lot and it showed me an icon on the map.

However I just tried that in the Ioniq 5 and no such luck. I am not anywhere close to a charger, unfortunately, but I couldn't get it to show the ones I know are in there.

There is a setting that suggests such functionality, so I'm wondering too.

4. polytech90

polytech90 New Member

unfortunately Hyundai-Kia has focused in the wrong direction regarding navigation system software updates, on the latest software updated they made changes in some details which are not really so important like showing the vehicle graph to make changes for driver convenience options.
    But apparently they don't realize how important is to search for charging stations in a more user friendly way, specially when you are in a road trip. The system navigation is unable to estimate arrival battery percentage on each stops and even less to plan a route showing you your different stops along your way.
    Like Tesla and polestar do.
    We hope that this lack of feature is coming in a near future.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. hammick

hammick New Member

Please tell me there has been a software update to fix this. We just sold our Tesla MY and plan to get an Ioniq 5. I hope A Better Route Planner can be installed on Apple Carplay.

There were many things we didn't like about the Tesla but the routing/charge planning was great.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Care to share some of those sentiments? Just curious;)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. hammick

hammick New Member

Rough and stiff ride (that's our main complaint)
    Cheap interior
    Fit and finish not always great
    Not enough control over regen (passenger gets nauseous)
    Options are ridiculous (2k for decent wheels; 1k for white interior; 1k for gray paint)
    Autopilot worked great but they need to make it auto engage after a lane change
    CEO is a DB IMHO

Other than that the power is incredible (we had a '21 MYLR) and the user interface was wonderful (once you get used to it). Software updates were constant. Once feature my wife really wanted was added two weeks before we sold it (chime on green that trickled down from FSD). FSD price is a joke IMHO. 10k when we purchased and now 15k and it's still BETA software.

Only did one long trip but the Supercharging was very quick and easy although pretty much non-existent away from the interstates. It was a great investment. Drove it for a year (9,500) miles and sold it to a KIA dealer for 7k more than we paid for it.

A little concerned about what I hear about EA but if we get an Ioniq 5 it will be 99% a commuter car for my wife.

9. 10sqmiles

10sqmiles New Member

I think the built-in nav app is vintage. I use Google maps on my Android, have access to A Better Route Planner, ChargeHub, etc. I generally use ABRP before heading out on a long trip and plan stops/backups, then access Electrify America, charge Hub as needed.

ScubaSteve likes this.
  10. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Yes, I always use ABRP (free version) for route planning. One day I may try the paid version for a month or two and see if it's worth it.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm too lazy to investigate the paid version, but it sounds like you are more curious. Can you tell me what advantages it offers over the free version?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Hi Insightman,

here's the link to the benefits page for ABRP https://web.abetterrouteplanner.com/premium/.

I use Android Auto and it does indeed see ABRP but wants that paid version in order to actually use it. I typically plan a trip on ABRP but then need to input the route via Google Maps on Android Auto. It would be far better just to use ABRP but I don't do road trips that often to make paying for ABRP viable.

insightman likes this.
  14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks, @ScubaSteve! The one feature I think would be worth some bucks is Real-time Charger Availability and Forecast, but how does ABRP accomplish that? Do they check Plugshare, which, I assume, has many more users?