Charge start timeout

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by bengineer, Oct 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bengineer

bengineer New Member

My typical charging experience seems to involve plugging the car in, fumbling with app / payment (hello terrible apps, and chargers in deep underground garages with no cell service!), then having the car time out and fail to initiate the charge, starting the process all over again. Does anyone else experience this? Is there a workaround?

The big issue is that some charger networks seem to want to talk to the car before you can initiate payment, setting off a timer on the car's end before it goes to sleep and refuses to charge. A related issue is that if the charge stops, I can't re-engage it remotely (e.g. charging default is set to 80%, then I decide to change it to 100% after the charging has stopped, but the car does not restart charging even though it's plugged in and the plug is happy to provide more power)

These are annoying limitations that really frustrate the charging experience. Does anyone else experience similar issues?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

This is why tap-cards are a worthwhile option. Then you're only limited by the *charger's* network connection,
    which has presumably been engineered to work most of the time.

_H*

4. bengineer

bengineer New Member

I have a tap card for the more common network in my area, but having a stack of cards is a really convoluted solution to the car not being able to initiate a charge after a minute or so