Charge speed?

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Todd Hummel, Nov 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Todd Hummel

Todd Hummel New Member

Most of the time when I charge within the Electrify America network I get up to 175kwh. This morning all I could get out of the system is 43kwh. Now I know that in the grand scheme of things that is alot of energy delivered on demand but I had allotted a certain amount of time before work and I had to short fill beauty. It was 0400 so there wasn't a large demand on the system and i had just driven 15 or so miles in moderate weather so the batteries should not have been cold. Does anyone have any idea why or what happened? Thank you T3

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

What is your definition of cold? I have found that my other EVs start slowing down when the battery is below 70F. A 15 minute drive here in upstate NY would not warm them up to 70 with an OAT of 40F.

Also, what was the state of charge? All batteries taper when they get fuller.

Finally, it could be the station itself. Even though there were no other cars charging, something may have caused the station to limit its output.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. Todd Hummel

Todd Hummel New Member

Yea that is kinda what I was thinking too. It was 62° which is cold for central costal calif but not by the standards of others.

5. Todd Hummel

Todd Hummel New Member

Oh and the battery was starting at 43%

6. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

This sounds like an issue with the station to me. I have definitely seen EA stations providing less than full power. Often switching to a different stall can give you full power. If you do see issues like that, please report them to customer service so they know there is an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. branden

branden New Member

The max an ID.4 can charge at is 125kW - you may see up to about 130kW displayed on the station as there are thermal losses to account for. Now that that's cleared up, 43kW is likely due to a cold battery or faulty station if you only drove 15 miles - easiest way to test would be to swap stations.

9. Bobajoul

Bobajoul New Member

I don’t think it has a lot to do with the temperature, I agree with the person who said that really varies from charger to charger. When I plug in and I’m only getting it at 43 and I’ve re-plugged it Into another charger, the highest rate I’ve seen is 75. I’m starting to think that there might be fluctuations to the stations that vary day to day, I.e. an upStream issue. It might be local fluctuations on the grid where the charger is. That occurs more than you think

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

10. newb

newb New Member

Charging Curve id4 id3 soft v310.jpg Charging curve in iD.4 and 5 software v.3.1.0: