Charge-port door opening issues

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Orchardman, Jul 24, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi All,
    I couldn't find this issue elsewhere in the forum - any similar experiences?

For the last 2 months (so early winter) I have an intermittent problem that the port door does not open every time. I use the fob to open as usual, but 70% of the time it won't budge.

My work-around is a sharp rap on the port door with my fist when the car is locked, then unlock and it is free - has worked each time so far.

(And no, we don't get snow/ice this far north - I'm at 26-deg South lat.)

My 15,000 km service is in 3 weeks, so I'll get the dealer to fix, but maybe you guys have an idea?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. A few owners have mentioned this. The mechanism is similar to a ballpoint pen, those with a button on the top. Perhaps application of a plastic-safe lube would help, or blasting it with compressed air.

4. Thanks for the tip. I'm the world's worst handyman, so compressed air is not handy, but I'll give the lubrication a go.

5. Why not just take it to the dealer. You are under warranty.

6. Perhaps it’s best to try the dealer first because using a petroleum based lube might have a slight risk of damage.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    @Orchardman ,

There is a TSB for that problem - So I would get back to your dealer for attention.

The TSB is available from the NHTSA web site.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10172139-0001.pdf

John.

9. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I can't believe that they had to come up with a TSB to install some peel-off stickie pads. Yeah, you have to remove the bumper to put them in, but still. It just amuses me, I guess.

10. mho likes this.
  11. Wait a sec, there is a function on the FOB to open the charging port? I thought it was just a manual push on the door to open? Do I misunderstand you?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    If the car's locked you can't open the charge flap - So, unlock the car using the fob then push the flap to open. It's the push the flap bit that @Orchardman is having trouble with. :D

John.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Clamps likes this.
  14. Hi All,
    Just circling back and closing this one out.

I took my Kona in for the service: nothing of note to report.

I raised the issue of the charge-port door and handed over the overseas TSB (thanks @Anaglypta ): no local equivalent, but Hyundai Aust were happy to honour it under warranty. No parts at the dealer, of course, so it took 3 weeks to get from Sydney and to find a spot for me to book in. That was last Thursday. According to the dealer, mine is the first Kona in Oz to have this work done.

Anyway, after checking the work I went directly to a charger. No issues. The "feel" of the door is much improved with a more positive push and more satisfying click on closing and opening. I've been checking every day since: no further issues.

By the way, for those on this forum in SE Qld, Springfield Hyundai have been first-class - no complaints at all.

Anaglypta, KiwiME and electriceddy like this.
  15. That's pretty quick, happy to hear the new charge port assembly solved your issue. It's comforting to have support from a diligent dealer.:)

16. My understanding is that they installed the pads rather than a new port. The pads look like they space the bumper (including the door and latch) out further from the receptacle face which I'm assuming allows the door to press in further (without hitting the receptacle) and ensure the push-on/push-off lock mechanism works over its required range. A tolerancing issue no doubt.

Perhaps if any of us are caught out by this in the future, reaching behind the bumper and pushing it out while attempting to open the door might work as a temporary fix.

17. My charge-door would not open and I found this thread and others useful to let me open the door. What worked for me was the trick of: lock doors with fob, unlock doors with fob, then apply a sharp rap on the charge door within 15-sec after doors-unlock. The door then will pop up.
    I did see that the Hyun. TSB 20-BD-002H is supposed to fix the problem. A dealer job. It adds 2 vinyl pads to bottom of housing but requires removal of front bumper to get access.