CCS1 Emergency Ejector Project

Discussion in 'General' started by rcnesneg, Apr 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Member

Hi all,

I haven't been able to find any CCS1 emergency ejector systems (to eject plug and allow you to drive away without getting out of the car). Are there any I missed?

In light of that I'm starting the project to develop a solution for this. I intend to make whatever I come up with open source and available for anyone to make for profit or personal use.

Please let me know if you want to be involved, or have CAD or other resources that might help!

--------- Technical stuff in process ------------
    At this point, I am focusing on releasing the Chargepoint 250 and Electrify America charger handles.

There are several ways to do this - A short extension that can disconnect itself between the car and the charger. This is beyond my abilities to deal with high voltage systems safely.

A 3d printed, stamped, or bent metal bracket that fits over the handle and ejects it on que. - This is what I am focusing on right now. This could either use springs, an electric actuator, or a compressed gas cylinder (from a life jacket inflator) and three pneumatic cylinders.
    One cylinder would compress the thumb button firmly, and the other two would actuate against the charge port housing on the vehicle. Once the station released the plug latch, the existing pressure on the two cylinders against the charge port would eject the plug away from the vehicle.

Thoughts? Feedback? Suggestions?

More to come!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Just one thought, the handle won't release if the charging isn't stopped beforehand.

However, if you come up with a system that somehow gets around that (a throwaway part staying with the charge handle when you drive away) you might potentially risk damage to car or charger because of sparking. Your going to disconnect a potentially up to 350kW electrical connection.

Definitely something to think about, but I think it's going to be harder to solve, and potentially has to involve charging station providers.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I would add the few CCS-1 stations I have used expect the plug to be inserted back in the station and the power cable off the parking area space so cars won’t park on or damage them.

Perhaps you might explain why getting out of the car to unplug and secure everything manually needs to be avoided?

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

5. I think the idea is an emergency eject for when you are about to get mugged.

electriceddy and Fastnf like this.
  6. How is unplugging your ev and returning the connector to the charging station holster any different than taking the gas nozzle out of an ICE fuel tank and placing it back on the dispenser. I don't find unplugging my car and placing the connector back on the charger an issue that need solving.

bwilson4web and R P like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. If there is room for a passenger, just get one of these:
    [​IMG]:)

mho, Fastnf, Esprit1st and 1 other person like this.
  9. bwilson4web

Perhaps just make the vehicle, CCS-1 socket into a quick disconnect unit?
    • Modify the cables to the vehicle CCS-1 with removable plugs and sockets behind vehicle CCS-1 socket. Perhaps a Tesla compatible plug-and-socket.
    • Modify the CCS-1 connector so it can 'pull out.'
    • Drive off leaving the vehicle CCS-1-quick disconnect adapter plugged into the CCS-1 plug and cable.
    • Replace the disposable CCS-1 socket with another at next Fast DC charging station.
    • Repeat.
    Bob Wilson

ps. Out of the box thinking. <GRINS>

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  10. Out of Spec Motoring recently posted a video of potential vulnerability at being at a charging station and getting assaulted or robbed. The points they brought up are most charging stations are located in isolated areas of parking lots, lack of cameras or lights and the length of time you have to wait for a car to charge.

Puppethead likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. I think the reason is as explained in this video from Out Of Spec Reviews:

Basically, with a very nice car sitting at a public charger, away from busy areas with lots of people, and a driver inside, waiting for 30+ minutes, some individuals may take advantage of this captive audience to do something nefarious. The driver cant simply drive away while charging.

Clamps beat me to the answer... I didnt scroll down below the ad! :rolleyes:

13. .

So the root cause is not the time to unplug the charger and return it to the holster. But the actual location and the time it takes to charge. I guess when I am charging on road trips it usually in the middle of the day in a Wallmart or similar busy parking area or at free cal trans rest stop charger. So still not an issue for me personally but it may be for others. On the other hand quicker charging and better locations also solves the problem. Both of which are coming.

14. bwilson4web

Sounds like there may be a business opportunity for a mechanical hand:
    • After not getting robbed and assaulted upon starting a charging session:
      • Park car in charging spot
      • Get out and plug-in CCS-1 charger
      • Pull out wallet or credit card holder to start charging session
      • Start charging
    • Put mechanical hand on CCS-1 plug handle
      • Wind up mechanical thumb and push rods
      • Run 'trigger' line to car window
    • After charging complete
      • Test mechanical hand by pulling the trigger line
      • Exit car and remove mechanical hand from CCS-1 plug
      • Put CCS-1 plug into EVSE holster
    Of course the gun crowd would suggest carry a pistol or carbine. Just the associated problem is gun theft makes the EV gun a high priority break-in target.

The other alternative is a loud, barking dog who bites identified strangers. Then you'll have a companion to calm your fears.

Best of all, replace that assault attracting EV with an ICE car. After all, nothing bad ever happens to them at a gas station, home, or catalytic converter donation site. <MEGA SIGH>

The Marine solution is to have a very visible, weighted, billy club with a wrist leash. Take a martial arts class and learn what hand weapon matches your abilities and take classes to develop skills.

Perhaps mount or carry very bright lights inside the car that shine out the windows and a recording camera. Carry your own lights and video camera(s).

Bob Wilson

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    Esprit1st and Fastnf like this.
  15. Pretty sad discussion... Better solution would be to put and keep criminals in jail.

16. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Sure. We’d all love to keep all criminals off the streets. But here in the real world, that will never happen so we still need to look out for ourselves (and each other).

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Esprit1st likes this.
  17. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

People get carjacked and robbed at fueling stations in broad daylight, with attendants and cameras and other people around. This is a worthwhile discussion.

18. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Historically that could work, but it would be more profitable to export fentanyl into Vancouver and recycle profits into housing speculation for the lower mainland. Surely one wouldn't want to put those people in jail as they have brought 30+ years of prosperity! Rather than incarcerate, give a Nissan LEAF!

19. I know what you are saying, but disagree that is the whole cause of what's been happening. There are two classes of criminals here. The rich and the gangs who can utilize the best lawyers to keep them out of jail. And then the poor "victims" who will do anything just for their next fix. And we are doing nothing for the latter in terms of getting them off their addictions.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    teslarati97 likes this.
  20. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

This is the result of an over active imagination and a culture of fear in the USA.

One guy in one location did this and now its a “thing”.
    People need to get some perspective.

You are more likely to get robbed outside your car at a gas station (or anywhere else) than sitting inside a locked car at a charging station.

the chances of someone coming up to your car with a gun to rob you are slim to none.
    If someone does, just call the cops from within your locked car, that’s what they’re there for.

Over complicated release mechanisms are not needed. At least not yet. Maybe the day will come when there’s an epidemic of such robberies, most likely at night in non busy areas. But for now this is not a thing to be concerned about, even in the unlikely event you frequent these places at night (which most people don’t).

21. The bigger concern/risk is leaving it at a nearby L2 free charging session unattended for an extended period of time. Where I live, we have one just a 15 min walk from where we live, and used it extensively over the last 3 years. But we live in a very safe neighbourhood, with very low crime, certainly not the violent type. But that is not the case everywhere.

22. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Yes, there is more chance of vandalism to your car or theft from if if left unattended.

Puppethead likes this.