Car Wash issue

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Paul DeLeon, Dec 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

I followed the directions of the worker and placed my Kona EV's left front tire in the groove. In my old car, a gasmobile, the motorized track pulled my car along as the machines washed. The Kona refused to move. I rechecked, car in Neutral, brake off. The Kona bucked like a mule and refused to move.
    Anyone else notice this?
    Did I do something wrong?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I haven't tried a car wash yet. I don't know why but I have visions of water splashing into the battery.

4. I have gone through the car wash several time with no problems. Car in neutral brake off just as you described. Just a thought though did you make sure "auto hold" was off. If not it may not want to move.

Tinarewin and Ev050 like this.
  5. Auto hold and possibly not having your seatbelt on. This car is determined to save us all from ourselves.
    There are numerous circumstances listed in the owner's manual where the parking brake will automatically apply.

Ev050 and ehatch like this.
  6. Paul DeLeon

What is "auto hold"?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The Auto hold button is the the 4th button in the row with seat heater and drive mode buttons. This button when on will hold the car at a stop without the brake on. It won't allow the vehicle to move or roll until the accelerator is pushed. It is useful if you are sitting on a hill or incline where you don't want to have the car roll forward or backward if you take your foot of the brake. You can find a description in the owners manual on page 5-36 (US version). A indicator light near the bottom of the speedometer display will light if it is activated.

Ev050 likes this.
  9. Francois

Francois Active Member

It is a button that is next to the ones where you turn on the seat heaters.

When you turn auto stop on, you only need to press the break pedal until you come to a full stop and then the car will remain immobile even if you take your foot off the brake pedal. It won't budge until you put your foot on the accelerator.

But auto stop is not a "sticky" setting. If you turn your car off, auto stop is reset automatically.

10. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

It’s got nothing to do with hills in particular. The car has another automatic function to prevent rolling backward as you transfer your foot from the brake to the accelerator. Auto hold is primarily to allow you to rest your foot at long stops as it prevents forward creep. It isn't on by default, because in stop and go traffic you want that creep.

Francois likes this.
  11. I agree with you about forward creep but I have a steep driveway with an electric gate and auto hold works in both direction to hold the car on the hill while the gate opens. So it has to do with hills and inclines as well.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Ev050, ehatch and Francois like this.
  14. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

I've gone through my local car wash on numerous occasions without any problems getting my Kona into neutral.

15. Francois

Francois Active Member

I'll only be able to experience this car wash thing in 5 months or so. I never go to get it washed when it is freezing outside for fear that windows will be frozen shot or worse, my charger's panel. :)

16. I've gone through the car wash where no one is in the car and it hasn't had a problem.

17. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Of course. It’s just that sometimes people get it confused with hill hold.

18. I used the car wash quite a few times, no problems at all.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

19. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

Most likely the Auto Hold. Happened to me once.

20. Paul DeLeon

You are right. I turned off the Auto Hold on my next visit to the car wash and went thru fine. Thanks to everybody for the help.

electriceddy likes this.
  21. The car washes around here are all "drive through" so I haven't had that problem.

22. Add that to the "redundant button" list ;)

23. Love that button as it leaves it up to 'me' wether to use it or not. Gets used occasionally :)