Car Play Stopped Working Today

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Clamps, Jan 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The subject line says it all. My Car Play stopped working today. The Bluetooth connection still works but the USB connection is acting odd. Usually I get a prompt when I plug in my phone at the top of the central display, “Reading USB”. That doesn’t show anymore but the phone is still charging. Anyway it’s a weird glitch, at first I thought it might be the USB cord but then why would it still charge the phone? I will try a new cord tomorrow just for the process of elimination.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Well, the wire in the cord for 5V power is not the same as for USB.

Clamps likes this.
  4. If I understand you correctly, what you’re telling me is that the wire that charges the phone is different than the wires that supply data in a USB cord. So in fact it could be the cord that is the problem. I’ll check it out tomorrow with a different cord and thanks.

5. Yes, four wires, ground, data in, data out and 5V power.

6. Thanks KiwiME, tried a new cord and same result. However, had to run some errands this morning and halfway home it switched from Bluetooth to CarPlay.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

This happened to me the other day. Fixed itself when the car was switched off for long enough for the ECUs to actually go to sleep (a minute didn't cut it).

9. in my case CarPlay connectivity was flaking in and out while I was driving. The following day it simply didn’t work and today it came back while driving home from errands. Seems like a problem. Hope it’s just two bad cables.

10. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

Could also be the connector on the phone

11. Maybe but it connecting intermittently with my wife’s phone as well.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    There's a TSB for that. If the USB multi-box needs repacing it's a bit of a marathon. :eek:

John.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10170883-0001.pdf

Clamps likes this.
  14. Just thought I would follow up. I switched the usb cable to my Apple cord that came with the phone and it’s been flawless since. Still not 100% that this is the solution but it’s looking good so far.

electriceddy likes this.
  15. I've encountered a few situations where my iPhone wouldn't play nicely with the computer or other device if it wasn't an Apple USB cable.

Clamps likes this.