"Can't start pull out charger" but the charger is out? Help

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by Bruce Buchanan, Dec 26, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bruce Buchanan

Bruce Buchanan New Member

Hello,
    My car is stuck half way into my garage and won't start! It has pulled this stunt twice before. The first time I had been driving around on errands and on the fourth stop of the car in a parking lot miles away from my charger I get "can't start pull out charger" I am familiar with this warning when I forget to remove the charger plug at home. Knowing there was no charger plugged in I didn't jump out to see. I kept trying to start the car repeatedly. After about 20 times of turning off the car and turning the car back on the car finally started. I drove home and the problem was gone. The car would start ok when back in my garage. The car was ok for about a month then it did it again. This time it was in my garage at home. I had just un-plugged it to leave and got this message to pull out charger. I plugged the charger back in so I could re-remove the plug. Doing this a few times did not work. I was able to get the car to stop this by just repeatedly trying and trying like the first time.
    Now this is the third time and the car is stuck halfway through my garage door. Yesterday with 27 miles left on the charge meter I parked the car into my garage door and plugged it in. Later when I went to leave the car does this again "CANT START PULL OUT CHARGER"
    I am not able to get the car to go this time by repeatedly re-tryin. I have made another observation this time, while the car was plugged in it didn't gain any charge, it still is showing 27 miles on the meter. I also don't see any blue lights on the dash while plugged in. When plugging in the charger I don't hear the normal clunking sounds from the back of the car. I do hear the normal beep sound you get when plugging in.

I am hoping that someone with technical knowledge of how the charging system works can shed some light on what is happening here?
    I would also like to know how the system decides the the charger is attached to the car? Is the physical presence of the plug being in the receptacle closing a switch or something or is the system using the voltage presence as the indication.
    Has anyone had this happen and what did you do?

Thanks for reading this, Bruce

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

Aaahhhh welcome to the world of modern electronics. The first clues that something is amiss is that you should always hear the clunking sound when you connect the charger and you should see some blue lights flashing either to indicate that charging has started or that the timer is on. When the vehicle is charging and you dis-connect it should clunk as well. You may get lucky in that it just might be a broken connector in your charging port. Diagnosing electronic problems can be a nightmare and made worse by the fact that yours seems to be intermittent which means sure as hell if you take it to the dealer it's going to work perfectly! Good luck.

Snakebite likes this.