Canadian pre-orders now available

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by electriceddy, Jun 1, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Limited quantity with launch date fall 2021, $500 deposit. Heat pump, battery heater, 77.4 kWh battery, AWD, smart parking assist, 2 way on board charger, hands free "smart trunk" with automatic opening, are some options. Wonder when deliveries will actually become a reality and the price for the different trims. Will the Essential be low enough to qualify for the federal rebate?

https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/coming-soon/2022-ioniq-5/pre-order :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    Wildeyed likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Does Canada require the base model of an EV to cost less than $45K Canadian dollars to qualify for the federal rebate? If I read that right, I doubt the Ioniq 5 will qualify. Hyundai isn't making any special models that trim the few dollars necessary to meet the British threshold for cost incentives.

There have been no predictions of Hyundai dealers being burdened with parking lots full of unsold Ioniq 5s being offered at the non-qualifying prices.

4. I've opted not to apply. I signed up for notifications on the Hyundai Canada website and have not received anything about this pre-order opening up. Looks like Hyundai Canada is operating exactly as they did during the ramshackle Kona EV launch. I don't need to go through that again.
    It also bugs me that you can't order a top trim long range/single motor version. The dual-motor Ultimate is going to be pretty close to $80K from the look of things. I'll wait.

5. Well that didn't last long...

I relented and registered. Having been through the Kona EV pre-order process I decided that I could pre-register and (this time) remain calm and removed from what will almost certainly be a long, opaque and potentially frustrating process.

The dealership called me immediately - I'm the first registration they got - and we chatted. I can pull out any time and it's the only way I'll be able to truly find out $$$ and final options/packages being offered. What the heck...call it a hobby.

I really don't like that to get all the toys I need to buy the AWD version. If they offered the single motor (Preferred) long range version with the Ultimate package I would jump on it. Perfect balance of range and features. And, man, the colours are a snore.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    E-Shark and electriceddy like this.
  6. Well first off, congratulations- the first Canadian recorded pre-order (on this forum anyways). My credit card remains in my wallet, for now.
    as for the quote... c'mon Wildeyed...who are you trying to fool:D

mho and Wildeyed like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I would expect the base Essential will fall under the $45K iZ-EV qualification, no 800 V charging (ultra fast charger)? 125kW motor, 58kWh battery, smaller 19" wheels, no heat pump or indicated battery heater. As for delivery, that could be another story. The vehicle won't be profitable enough to justify building and supplying it in a speedy manor (also considering chip supply issues), as Hyundai would prefer no doubt to supply the higher end models (like what previously occurred) as we were forced into the top level trim for quite some time.
    Reading the disclaimer after you hit the pre-order button "Delivery date shown is an estimate and subject to change without notice"
    As for the next model up, Preferred, that will probably be above the maximum cap of $55K. Now if the government were to increase that cap (wishful thinking) I would be tempted cough up 500 bucks and roll the dice.

9. Yeah the colours are a bit of a snooze so I stayed with white and light gray interior. Would have gone blue but don't like black interior. Already have that in my ICE. The interesting part will be what they'll offer for MY20 Kona Ultimate.

ScubaSteve, Wildeyed and electriceddy like this.
  10. You pre-ordered as well? Which model - AWD?

11. AWD w. Ultimate package.

ScubaSteve and electriceddy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I kinda like that one too, congratulations. Should be a great benefit travelling in the mountains, you never know what to expect in the upper elevations.
    Look forward to the progress reports from both of you lucky people:)

14. Wonder what will come first, Kona battery or new wheels. :)

15. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

$80K for top trim model? They are crazy if they think people spend that on Hyundai product…..$80K for BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Porsche understandable but not Hyundai/ Kia

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

electriceddy likes this.
  16. Compete with this AWD Tesla Y (Performance 488 km range $84K) :
    Better off with the LR model 525 km $70K (just 1.3 seconds slower to 100 km/h)
    https://www.tesla.com/en_ca/modely/design#overview

17. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

I guess my main complaint is that I feel manufacturer’s should be releasing more affordable EV’s… instead of this trend of just more expensive and that includes Tesla

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

18. If you try to compare apples to apples: dual motor, an actual paint colour other than white and some advanced self-driving features, you're looking at 80k+ for the Model Y and definitely after taxes and fees.

19. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Hi, I just placed a pre-order for the AWD w ultimate package. Currently own a 2021 Kona Preferred EV (which I really like). The features on the new Ioniq 5 from better charging to a potential Level 4 self driving in 2023 to the larger size appeal to me.

The choice of colours and how bland they are is a different matter. I had a really tough time choosing the colour for my Kona, not so for the Ioniq 5 since there was only one that even resembled anything I'd like.

Whether or not I proceed will not only depend on the final cost, but also what kind of trade-in value I can get for the Kona. If no deal, I may do the same for the Kia EV 6 and see what happens there. Although they state late fall delivery in 2021, I'd expect spring 2022 as a more realistic timeframe. Cheers, Steve

electriceddy likes this.
  20. Quick reference range guide:

MODEL ESTIMATED RANGE

Essential RWD SR- 354 kilometres

Preferred RWD SR- 354 kilometres

Preferred AWD LR w/Ultimate Package- 400 kilometres

Preferred AWD LR- 435 kilometres

Preferred RWD LR- 480 kilometres

Source:
    https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/hyundai-canada-launches-pre-order-program-for-the-highly-anticipated-ioniq-5-electric-cuv-817051015.html

It would appear the 19" wheels included with the AWD LR model gets you 35 more kms than the 20" wheels included with the LR w/ Ultimate ;)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  21. I'm not sure I entirely trust these estimates but I am curious as to what it is about the Ultimate package that robs the car of that much additional mileage.

22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Your electric Kona has a rear wiper, right? I'm puzzled about Hyundai not including one with any trim level of the Ioniq 5. At slow speeds in the city, where you really need to see through the rear window, no aerodynamic device can replace a rear wiper. I realize that sedans don't get rear wipers, but most hatchbacks do.

23. It's a concern, no doubt. Maybe the angle is different from most hatches?